Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Back Tension

Old 02-13-2005, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Back Tension

I recently purchased a back tension release. However, I find my shooting is worse with it than my standard release! I pull through the shot, and it rarely catches me by surprise. I have a problem with my shoulder than I cannot fully "rotate" it or try and touch my shoulder blades; and its compounded when I am pulling weight. I'm just wondering if there are any drills out there to improve my back tension technique. It seems like if I am 10 feet from the target and shoot with my eye closed, I can get it to make me surprised about 50 - 75% of the time. But any farther from the target I seem to be able to get a good feel for when it goes off and it causes me to throw arrows all around the target. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:24 PM

Default RE: Back Tension

Josh, I don't know if I will be much help as I immediately shot better when I switched to a back tension release over 10 years ago. I even hunt with one!

What type of release do you have? Is it a rotation type of release or one with a trigger like a Carter? I would suggest learning back tension on a rotation type of release and shooting up close with your eyes closed. I can't beleive that someone would not get a suprise release using a rotation style. If you are and still anticipate the shot then I think some serious blank bale time is needed. I have a very detailed 29 page pdf document that gives some very good back tension tips. I found this on another forum and I guess I am lucky because I did a lot of this stuff on my own years ago. I could email it to you if you really want to learn. It recommends learning on the blank bale until the release becomes subconsious and says it could take thousands of shots. But once you learn the true suprise release your shooting will never be the same.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a back tension release as training tool. I had developed a small amount of target panic and didn't know how much I was punching the trigger. at first my accuracy went to hell quick. I kept at it and then it started to improve. You can cheat a back tension and maybe this is why it is not surprising all of the time. For consistant accurate shots the shot must not be anticipated. I found myself cheating the back tension release and also anticipating the shot. I cured this real quick by having a couple of backtension releases set up at different travel distances. Make sure they are the same brand, color and everything. This way you won't know which one you have in your hand. This will teach you to be patient and wait out the shot. For competitive shooting I would go with the thumb release and pull through the shot, but would stick to the back tension as a training tool. A great training release is the answer release. You cannot punch it and have to ease the shot. The first time I tried one it took me 1/2 hour to get a shot off. I didn't know that I was that bad off. Training with these tools took my shooting to a new level. It seems like you have the right idea about using a back tension release. It teaches an archer to shoot the right way.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would appreciate if you sent the document. My email is [email protected]

I think my biggest problem is that I can barely move my shoulder blades together even without holding a bow. If I set the release light enough so it will surprise me, it tends to surprise me while I'm drawing back one of out 10 or so times. I really think I need to dedicate the whole spring to learning the correct back tension methods and perhaps even give up 3d shooting until I get it.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

PS I'm using this release...

http://store.yahoo.com/archery-experts/trutefi.html
Old 02-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

JoshKeller, I would continue to use the back tension as a tool for training. Still shoot your 3-D with your normal release. You should notice a huge improvement. Have you ever tried shooting a thumb style release buy pulling through the shot? That will give you a surprise release also. Alot of the top notch 3-D shooters shoot the back tension for training and use the thumb style for shoots. Another issue that I would like to point out. In order to shoot back tension properly your draw length will probably end up a little shorter. If you are having a rough time it is possible that you might be a little long keeping you from getting proper rotation..
Old 02-13-2005, 07:59 PM

Josh, I sent the email with the back tension guide attached. That release you are using is a good one to learn on. Just be patient as I understand some people really struggle at first. It will be worth it if you can figure it out. Once I learned what a good shot feels like with no anticipation I can't stand using a regular trigger release. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing, How do I ensure that my release will not go off mid way through my draw? I try and keep my hand rotated, but if I set the release with enough travel that it will not go off mid way trhough, it tends to take a lot more effort to get it to release.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:36 PM

I recently started shooting a Carter thumb trigger with back tension. I'm starting to see some results but it takes a lot of practice. When I get a good suprise release and a solid shot, it feels so good. I jsut need to get that feeling consistently shot after shot.

Keep it up josh.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, I love the feeling when it does come by surprise and goes right where im looking at. However, that seems to only happen about once out of every 7 shots, and the rest are just scattered on the target. I think I will crank my bow down some and try and get the feel better. I think my consistancy is my biggest problem right now. target panic sucks [:@]

Quick Reply: Back Tension

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.