Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

feather advantages????

Old 09-08-2002, 06:15 PM

Default feather advantages????

I am currently shooting Easton 2514's with 100 grain muzzy's. I have 4 inch helical vanes. What difference might I notice if I switched to 4" helical feathers? How about 5" helicals. Also, how do you know when to use 4" or 5"?
Old 09-08-2002, 06:58 PM

Default RE: feather advantages????

The difference will be slight if any. Your FOC will increase slightly but not enough to make a difference in you arrow flight. At close range out to about 20 yds you will pick-up some speed. Afer twenty yds. that will revese itself with drag. Feathers are more forgiving and will stablize your broad head better. As far as 4 or 5in. helical. I think that will depend on your rest or launchers or if you think 5in. will help stablize your arrow better. I shoot 4in feathers and get great arrow flight w/carbon selects and muzzy's. Rain and snow will effect feathers. Even if you water proof them they will not with stand a long down pour. That is somehting to consider. Hope this helped. Jerry

Old 09-08-2002, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: feather advantages????

Going from 4" vanes to 4" feathers will drop your arrow weight about 18 grains or thereabouts. You'll get a bit faster arrow flight out of the bow and a good long way downrange, well beyond 20 yards. Drag is not a problem if you don't wrap a hellish amount of helical on the feathers. Most people I know use far too much helical.

If your broadheads are a little erratic with 4", then try 5". Trial and error is the only real way to tell. Generally though, the larger diameter and the more blades (more blade surface area) a broadhead has, the more fletch it's going to need to control it.