Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

FDC Graphs of Allegiance vs LX

Old 02-08-2005, 12:50 PM

Default RE: FDC Graphs of Allegiance vs LX

Sylvan, we are getting closer but I thought I explained this in my other thread? My Allegiance that I used for the above measurements was measured at 299 fps during the QC testing before BowTech shipped it. They give you a card called a "birth certificate" that shows actual performance of your bow at your DL at 5 grains per lb. of draw weight. The only calculation I did to arrive at 304 was to add 5 fps to simulate removing the 4 rubber silencers on the cables and string. Yes this number is based on the mfg. data but guys like Buckeye, WWAG, and others have verified their bows are shooting within 0 or 1 FPS of the Birth Certificate data from BowTech.

I do understand your skepticism of published speeds from the manufacturers. I can tell you that from my testing Mathews bows are usually 5 to 10 fps slower than the IBO they publish. They do not, however, measure each individual bow like BowTech does. I will find a chronograph, remove the peep and silencers, and shoot a few arrows to verify my numbers. I am confident it is within a few fps if not right on.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:24 PM

Great info and thanks for sharing

Keep it coming
Old 02-09-2005, 04:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

PABowhntr, the DL is AMO, see my correction post above. The area under the curve is the "stored energy" in ft.-lbs. This stored energy is from brace height to the full draw length. Are you asking for the area under the curve just in the locations you mentioned? If so then:
- from 11 - 18 inches on the Allegiance the stored energy is 37.0 ft-lbs.
- from 17 to 24 inches on the LX the stored energy is 39.4 ft-lbs.
Blodg,

Thanks for the response. What I was looking for was a comparison between the differences in draw weight over those particular spans that I mentioned. For example, lets say that the cumulative draw weight between 11 and 18 inches on the Allegiance is something like this (11= 25 lbs of draw weight, 12=40 lbs of draw weight, 13= 55 lbs of draw weight, 14= 70 lbs of draw weight, 15=70 lbs of draw weight, 16= 70 lbs of draw weight, 17= 68 lbs of draw weight, 18= 67 lbs of draw weight) for a total of 465 pounds of cumulative weight over that span. I would like that number compared to the cumulative draw weight of the LX over the same span of draw length.

Then, take the span from 18 to 24 inches on both bows and compare that difference to the difference between 11 and 18 inches. What I am trying to get a feel for is which bow actually draws more overall cumulative draw weight during the full length of the draw cycle.

Was that confusing enough?
Old 02-09-2005, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sylvan, we are getting closer but I thought I explained this in my other thread?
Blodg,

You did explain in the other thread and I thought that we both understood. When you post AMO speed = xxx as opposed to just speed = xxx there is a difference in meaning. It is common for the purpose of comparing apples to apples to measure velocity under conditions other than AMO and then convert the speed mathmatically to AMO. If you look in magazines selling bows you will find advertisements where they quote an AMO velocity on a bow that is not even capable of being set to AMO conditions. It's deceiving and makes people believe that the bow they are looking at is faster than it really is. You might say I'm being picky but I think it's important to be accurate. (BTW thank you for editing your post to read just speed =)

One last point. The reason I'm picking on the way you calculated efficiency is that you based it on Bowtechs claim and I simply do not believe velocity numbers from any manufacture.

Here's a tidbit from an article in Huntersfriend.com

In fact, we periodically IBO test new bows here at our facility. Over the course of several years and countless dozens of tests, we have NEVER found a single bow which will actually shoot at or above it's advertised IBO speed - from any manufacturer. Admittedly, some manufacturers come closer than others, but in the real world, most compound bows will actually shoot 10-20 fps less than their advertised IBO speeds. And once setup in a typical hunting rig, most will shoot a measurable 30-50 fps less than the advertised IBO speed.
here's the link if you want to read the article http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowsele...htm#StatDecept

Advertisers are clearly willing to deceive customers in order to boost sales. Money talks! I wouldn't be surprised that some may even post in popular forums.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sylvan, what BowTech does is actually shoot each bow at the factory. and provide a tag showing peak weight and speed. People can chrono their bow and see how it compares to the BC. The speed on the BC is not the IBO estimated speed, but actual speed for that particular bow.

In looking at the force draw curves, it becomes apparent the BowTech accelerates the string longer through the power stroke. At about 17" before brace, the LX cam is no longer applying energy to the string/arrow. The Allegiance falls off at about 14". This is where I think the E cams gain the efficiency. Especially at shorter draw lengths, and with heavier arrows.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look guys, all I'm pointing out here is that the IBO standard rating is 70 pounds peak 30" draw and 350 grains. If ALL of those conditions are not there when the bow is chronographed then the measured speed it is NOT an IBO speed. If you, for example, take a bow that is set at 60 pounds and measure the speed to be 280 then you are WRONG if you say the IBO speed is 280! Thats what several people have been doing in their posts including Blodg but Blodg recognized the error and corrected it. BTW, the one birth certificate that I saw posted here showed the speed as an IBO speed and the standard conditions weren't there. Now you are telling me...

The speed on the BC is not the IBO estimated speed, but actual speed for that particular bow.
Well if it is not an IBO speed then why does the BC say that it is?

The purpose of IBO is to have a stadardized measurement. Its like units. When your talking about the speed of a car you can't use miles/hour and kilometers/hour interchangably though you can convert 1 to the other.

O.K. I'll get off my soap box now, sorry for the rant but I see this alot and its a hot button issue for me. I really don't believe anybody here is trying to deceive anyone (quite the contrary) althogh I belive its common practice for manufacturers.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:36 AM

Sylvan, you have some good points and I agree the speed does need to be verifed. I think people are going to continue to use IBO as a slang term to indicate the 70 lbs. and 350 grains for speed at their given DL.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:45 AM

Manufacture's advertized IBO speeds are a standard that we can judge bows by. The IBO standard is a 70 pound bow shooting a 350 grain arrow with a 30 inch draw. The 350 grain arrow equals 5 grains of arrow weight per pound of peak draw weight. An IBO weight arrow for a 60 pound bow would be 300 grains and 250 grains for a 50 pound bow.
This is much the same for AMO standards in that a 60 pound bow is tested with a 540 grain arrow and 30 inch draw. This equates to 9 grains per pound of peak draw weight.
We can all use an "adjusted" AMO and IBO speed to give ourselves an idea of how our bows perform
Old 02-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

My 30/70 Allegiance is on the way. Should be here by the middle of next week. I'll be able to post #'s with actual IBO specs then.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

walks with a gimp wrote:
The 350 grain arrow equals 5 grains of arrow weight per pound of peak draw weight. An IBO weight arrow for a 60 pound bow would be 300 grains and 250 grains for a 50 pound bow.
The IBO standard for velocity is ABSOLUTELY NOT 5 grains of arrow weight per pound peak. The IBO standard is 350 grains. You are confusing the rules of competition with the standard for measureing velocity.

Another quote from Huntersfriend
To really compare two bows, we need an "Apples-to-Apples" method of comparison. Since it wouldn't be fair for one manufacturer to test and rate their bows using one standard, and another using a different standard, manufacturers generally rate their bows using the same IBO (International Bowhunting Organization) Standard. To get an accurate IBO Speed rating, manufacturers must test their bows under the same preset conditions: setting the bow for exactly 70# Peak Draw Weight, exactly 30" Draw Length, and they must shoot a test arrow that weighs precisely 350 grains. Fair enough!
If you let the mass float around, you don't have a standard. It would be like saying the speed limit varies pending on the horsepower of your car.

Quick Reply: FDC Graphs of Allegiance vs LX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.