Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shot a defender,impressions

Old 02-07-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Shot a defender,impressions

Boy did I screw up today.My son is looking for a new bow so we went and shot the new bowtechs.All they had in the shop was a defender and independence.I liked the draw cycle on the new cam.Kinda stiff early,but very smooth.As opposed to a justice I shot that was easier drawing but had a little bump at the end.Kinda felt sloppy in comparison.

The bow did have a little,very little vibe to it without a stabilizer of course.The justice was smoother on then shot but 20 fps slower.

The grip is very small.Almost like shooting off the riser.Not really sure about it.I would have to do some shooting to see.It's just different from what I have shot in the past.

The BC said 28" 70.9#'s and 304 fps.The 28" draw was just a tad long for me.I would prefer a 27" with a string loop.

Man that thing spits an arrow out,with very little recoil or jump,just a little buzz if you will in the hand.I would like to shoot an allegiance to compare the two.

So what do you think a 27" 60#er would shoot with a 350 grain arrow? Take off 10# for the draw length,plus ten for a loaded string leaves 284.How much difference would 7-8 pounds of draw make?I'm thinking it'd be in the mid 260's maybe.The allegiance eshould be a little faster.

It is amazing to me the performance of these bows.This bow is getting 304 IBO at 28" 2 inches shorter than most bopws on the market.I really like the 2 cam "feel" to the draw also.As some one who came up shooting 2 cam bows I never warmed to the single cam draw curves.

As someone with a short draw I can tell you it makes a big difference.Overall i was impressed with the little bow,just take some getting used to the grip,or maybe an aftermarket grip.Big thumbs up to bowtech.

CB
Old 02-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot a defender,impressions

Add nearly 10 fps per inch shy of 30 and your looking at 324 ibo!! Dang that's a quick one.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:10 PM

Bowscout your Bc was on an allegance or a defender?

CB
Old 02-08-2005, 04:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a great bow for your particular requirements. I know many folks have always complained that they did not get much KE or speed with a shorter than average draw length and/or a draw weight under 70 pounds. It would seem that some bows on the market, Defender included, now give you those options.

I can't wait to get my hands wrapped around one. Maybe at the Harrisburg show this weekend.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:04 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-08-2005, 09:37 AM

That's interesting bowscout.I had wondered why the catalog had the allegiance 10-15 fps faster when the only difference is a 1/2" in brace height.Of course the defender I shot was almost 71# on the BC.

What is the speed loss per pound of draw weight on these bows 1 1/2 to 2 fps? From the numbers I have seen the 60#'s hold up good speed wise.

CB
Old 02-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

The Brace height isn't the "only" difference between the Defender and Allegiance,The Allegiance is longer in axle to axle,along with a shorter Brace Height,thats the difference in speed.