Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Please help, sighting in question

Old 02-07-2005, 07:57 AM

Default Please help, sighting in question

I have heard alot of you guys say that when you sight in your bow with your field points that your broadheads hit in just about the same area as your field points did. Well I'm having a little problem that I need some advice on. I sighted in my bow with field points (Tomkat 26" DL left handed, 70#, 400 gr arrow this is with the 100 gr field point, broadheads are muzzy 100gr 3 blade) & got it dead on @ 20, 30 & 40yards (all shots were within a 3 inch circle. Then when I switched to my broadheads my shots were off. Mainly 3-5 inches to the left and right. Could this be shooter error & myself pulling off or should I be looking for a problem somewhere else, or is this normal? I used same arrows that I shot my field points with & the broadheads were new without any obvious flaws I could see. Thanks for any input.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:50 PM

Default RE: Please help, sighting in question

O.k....you need to do a couple of things..First of all you need to paper tune your bow...I would go to a bow shop and they will explain to you how to do that and what to look for..After you are shooting bullet holes,you want to tune your broadheads and arrows..The way I do this is spin a head on an arrow,stand arrow upright on flat surface make circle with thumb and pointer finger around shaft below fletching and spin arrow with other hand.If the arrow wobbles a couple of inches above broadhead,loosen broadhead adjust rubber washer and retightem and try again..If problem persists put head on another arrow and same process.When you match arrow to broadhead that doesn't wobble you should be good to go..This can be frustrating but once heads are matched to arrows your groups will come together.. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:53 PM

i couldnt have said it better myself.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:42 AM

What arrow are you using, at what length? You may be borderline on spine, which can cause the problem you described. I have always gotten better flight from broadheads by going to a stiff arrow with a heavier head (increasing F.O.C.).
Old 02-15-2005, 09:23 AM

I'm using goldtip xt's 5575 28" long.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:24 AM

I'm using Goldtip XT's 5575 28" long
Old 02-15-2005, 09:24 AM

I'm using Goldtip XT's 5575 28" long
Old 02-15-2005, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try backing off your poundage a couple of turns--that should help your groups if your underspined a little bit because it will act as if the arrow had a stiffer spine due to less force pushing the arrow.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:34 PM

In my opinion, you're underspined. Tuning may or may not be contributing to the problem, but shooting underspined arrows with a relatively low F.O.C., will not give the best broadhead flight in my experience.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you impacting the target at the same height with your broadhead and field tips? The problem isn't with spine, but probably a slight adjustment of the nock set. The arrow you are shooting is correct for draw and weight. It sounds like your nock set is a bit too high. Shoot two fletched arrow at 10 yards and than shoot a bare shaft. The bare shaft should impact just below your fletched arrows. Loosen the nock set just enough to be able to turn it on the serving like a nut on a bolt. Turn it up 1 1/2 turns than lightly secure the set and try the bare shaft again. This should correct the problem. Let us know how you make out

Quick Reply: Please help, sighting in question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.