Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Input needed for selection of a new sight.

Old 02-07-2005, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Input needed for selection of a new sight.

Of the two sigfhts you mention there is no comparison. HHA hands down for ruggedness. Just look at the pion guard to see how well the pin is protected. Other guys mention Spot Hogg, and I agree they are a fine sight. I have a Real Deal on my 3D rig, but depending on how old your eyes are, they just aren't bright enough when you need BRIGHT the most. My eyes are old. That plus I do prefer a single pin for hunting. For that I think the HHA OL-5000 is one of the best sights presently made. Not the cheapest, but..............................
Old 02-07-2005, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have allways been a fan of toxonic sights , and allso love the new duskdevil sight .
Old 02-08-2005, 08:32 AM

First of all, thanks for all of the continued input!
I went hands on with a whole bunch of different sights yesterday.
The Spot-Hogg was beautifully made and really is built like a tank but the pins just aren't as bright as I'd like. I know they have an accessory light but I really hate to depend on batteries.
The Sidewinder LX was also very nice and seemed to be pretty ruggedly built, if not as finely finished and precise as the Spot-Hogg. The only thing I didn't like about it was the long open length of fiber optic spanning between the main fiber optic housing and the pins. I could just picture a branch or twig getting in there in extremely cold weather and breaking that unprotected loop.
The only Trophy Ridge I was able to handle had the VDrive. It squeeked horribly and felt kind of sloppy. I liked the sight picture but I didn't care for the build quality.
The Trophy Taker Top Pin was very nice. The top pin is VERY bright and almost washes out the bottom pins. It really is a very nice sight and I am still keeping it in consideration.
I looked at a variety of Vital Bow Gear Sights and am extremely impressed with them. Their Star Track slider really has my interest piqued. They also have a 3 pin and a 5 pin sight (verticle in-line pins) that are exceptionally nice. Actually, I really liked all of the VBG sights I looked at.
I also checkd out the HHA sights. THeir slider is every bit as nice as the VBG slider and seems to offer a good bit more pin protection (althought the VBG integral pin seems much more robust) The other HHA sight that I was very impressed with was their Triple Threat sight. I think it might be the brightest sight I have seen so far, a big sight window and impressive quality.

I think I will be narrowing my search to the HHA and VBG sights. They seem to offer everything I am looking for in a hunting sight and should serve admirably for 3D.
You would think this would ease my decision making process but they both offer so many great sights, each with their own great virtues, that I'm not much closer to making a decision than I was before!
Old 02-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

You really should take a look at an Impact Archery one before you buy. Incredibly bright ( 2ft of .30 fiber optic) and they are available with single pin whichyou can rotate to your prefference or multi pins.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the Sure Loc Lethal Weapon. I'm trying one out now and this one is not going back to the shop. Very precise and half the money of the Spott Hogg.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for IMPACT ARCHERY--i like the COSMIC,1-pin fixed sight and the no-peep make a great combo for low-light hunting situations!
Old 02-08-2005, 11:00 AM

I kind of breezed over the Impact sights due to all of the plastic. I figured it might not be as durable as an all aluminum model. Am I missing something?
Old 02-08-2005, 12:28 PM

i would be careful about an hha single pin for only 1 reason, and that is the deep pin housing, or aperture. it is well built, sturdy, will handle getting adjusted tons and tons of times - unlike some other sights, BUT during low light the the housing is so deep that it creates a glow around the pin if you use any type of light, especially the hha light. you will not be able to see through this glow, period. it also is so deep that it restricts vision like a peep, even without a light in very low light. this will only effect 5-10 minutes or so of your morning and evening opportunities, but it cost me and it only takes once. i like my startrack. the fiber optic dots used for setting slide yardage - well don't screw them too tight, which isn't necessary anyway, but don't do it, they'll strip. vbg will hook you up if they do though. also, go to home depot or somewhere like that and get some more nylon washers if you change equipment as much as i do. they will wear out after adjusting and re-tightening windage and vertical adjustments to the sight a lot. replacements are supercheap. plus i like that they use nylon washers - they are silencing, breaking up the metal to metal contact, and don't scratch the mounting bar or windage units up. i'm happy with mine, but have had it under a year. all the others you mentioned i've tried except spot-hogg, and until they make a single pin i won't.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I kind of breezed over the Impact sights due to all of the plastic. I figured it might not be as durable as an all aluminum model. Am I missing something?
They are plastic because it lets more light hit the fiber optics which are protected by the plastic. Half of the space shutle is made of polymers and synthetics. Doesn't worry me but if you ever tried one you would be impressed.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the heads up Gibblet. Not something I would have thought of.

I took a look at some Impact sights today. Pretty impressive! The Hammerhead looks very nice. The cosmic looks pretty darn nice too. Very bright. Hmmmmmm................

Quick Reply: Input needed for selection of a new sight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.