Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cam Lean Fix?

Old 02-02-2005, 12:21 AM

Default RE: Cam Lean Fix?

Sorry, I thought you had a newer Hoyt with the synthetic cables, never thought about the older bows with steel cables and the plastic spreader that the yoke cables run through. You might ask your pro shop if you could get your bow up graded with an all synthetic harness to improve performance and silence your bow. Other that that, just shoot it or trade it
Old 02-02-2005, 12:32 AM
Site Bouncer

I have already thought of that idea, but I don't know if I can get synthetic cables for this bow. That would be ideal then I could just serve in the yoke and twist to adjust it. They would have to come with a button attached so I could insert them into my cams.

I realy like this bow and it shoots fine, I don't want to buy a new one. It's not a question of money, this bow just feels right to me. I'm a big guy 6'4" 325lb and I still keep in shape (used to play in the NFL) and all of the new bows today just seem like toys, almost too light for me. I realy want to keep shooting this for a while.

I will look into new cables, I hope they are available.

BigJ
Old 02-02-2005, 12:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can't find any pics of this bow on the web but from what you just described it sounds like the the cables are the type that run through the wheels and have a ball on the cable to keep it securely in the wheel. They attach to the string on one end via a "button" and to the floating yolk on the other end???

The bushings could be worn more on one side than the other. Take it to a shop and let them break it down and check for wear and a bent axle.

If it's not one of these two things then there isn't much you can do outside of new limbs but I doubt that you could find them. It's very likley the limb. The older the bow gets and the more you shoot it the more the limbs integrity diminishes. Nothing you can do about it.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:14 AM
Site Bouncer

Yeah, that's pretty much my set up. The cables attach to the cams with a barrel end that goes through the cam and the string attaches to the barrel on the other side. I think Browning may still make these limbs. They are the Contour XP limbs, same as the Rage and Rage One. The cams are their Heat cams. I believe this was one of Browning's last models with their old traditional riser so it has some of the newer components ie limbs & cams on it I bought it used but I think it's only 4-6 years old.

If I knew how to post a picture I would.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would call Browning up and see about getting you some new limbs after you have the shop thoroughly check it out.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:20 AM
Site Bouncer

Well I figured it out.....the holes for the upper limb axle are not drilled level. This is causing the axle to lean and thus the cam is leaning. The lean is ever so slight and if I didn't read about cam lean I probably would have never looked for it or noticed it. I have shot this bow for some time and it shows no sign of wear on the cables or string. It shoots fine and hits where I want it to (most of the time)

I think I will call Browning and see if I can get another limb, but if I can't I will just continue to shoot it and pretend it's not there.

Thanks for all who responded.

BigJ
Old 02-02-2005, 04:35 AM

if its shooting well, don't worry about it. if you've got money to burn go over to archerytalk.com and check out the manufacturer's forum. there's a thread in there started by 'jungle'. its his new moon bow, the soft 15 or something. 6 lbs, built like a tank, and this fella really knows what he's talking about. its pricey, but sounds like something that would be up your alley.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:56 AM

If you can tune the bow and are getting good arrow flight I would not worry about the slight "lean." The lean will change through the draw cycle anyway as the string lets-off and the cables load, since they apply force to a different location on the axle. The ONLY bows I have seen that can be set up to have zero lean throughout the draw cycle are the triple-track daul cams (NitrousX, FuryX, Wedel, Tristars). All other systems exhibit a change during the draw cycle (1-cams, traditional 2-cams, hybrid-cams, even my 2 cam wheel bow with split cable system).

On 2-cam bows that I have, I try to twist the yokes so that I get the least amount of variation of horizontal travel at the string groove on each cam, this may mean it is slightly leaning at brace one way and shifts during the draw cycle. So bottom line is that unless it causes you a problem, I would not be concerned with it. If the lean is severe and the root is inproperly drilled axle holes, you cna epoxy them in and re-drill using a very good 2 part epoxy.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Site Bouncer

Thanks to all who responded.

I am not sure if I will do anything about it. Like I said It shoots fine with no wear to the cable. However I have never paper tuned it. It's good to know that I can have the holes filled with epoxy and re-drill if needed. I plan to continue hunting with this bow for some time or until something new comes out that doesn't feel like a toy in my hands.

I called Browning and while they still make the Contour XP limbs they do not make my model limb any more. I can always keep an eye out on e-bay for another bow like mine for spare parts.

BigJ