Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Center shot and spine

Old 01-30-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Center shot and spine

I've asked this question before but I never got a good explainatin. So here it is again. Some manufactors will say center shot of their particular bow is x in. from the riser. Will spine and or ones own natural torque change that measurement. How about this. I've set-up my bow and have shot-in my center shot. Shooting center rings @ 20 to 50 yds. If I increase my draw weight from 55 to 70 and have to change to a stiffer arrow does that effect my center shot? Inquiring minds. Thanks Jerry
Old 01-30-2005, 09:42 PM

Default RE: Center shot and spine

Center Shot has nothing to do with spine. Your hand torque will effect the center shot. The pressure point on the bow grip is were the arrow will go to upon release. The rest should be in line with this point. I simply do this to set up a arrow rest. I nock an arrow and look down the arrow from the back of the bow, when I put the string in the middle of the grip and the arrow is directly behind the string, your bow is center shot. I use the step back method to check this however I have not moved one in 10 years. As for those that say this is a bad method.[:'(] Also when you shot through paper and bareshaft tune that is spine not centershot. Any change in arrow will have no affect on centershot (shooting through paper will not tell you if you arrow rest is center shot). Thats the way I do it.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Center shot will not be effected if you shoot the same diameter arrow. Lets say your shooting 2213 aluminum arrows and you change to 2313 your center shot will change slightly. If you go from a 2213 to a 2514, there will be a substantial change in your center shot alignment. If the center shot is right on now, measure from the side of your riser to the CENTER of your arrow. When you change arrows, position your arrow on the rest and adjust until you have the same measurement off the riser to the CENTER of the new arrow. Center shot should be right on.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've asked this question before but I never got a good explainatin. So here it is again. Some manufactors will say center shot of their particular bow is x in. from the riser. Will spine and or ones own natural torque change that measurement.
No, the center shot measurement that you get from the manufacturer is just that. It measure the direct line from the string though the center diameter of the arrow as it passes past the riser. Spine and diameter of the arrow does not matter in this calcualtion.

Now in tuning your particular bow with your arrows, you may have to adjust and deviate from the center shot slightly. But, the center shot always remains the same. Unless the cams are shimed differently.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:23 AM

Thanks guys for the replies. For some reason that always stuck in the back of my mind. It came up again last week when doing my yearly maintinence and retuning. So the fact is that hand torque or grip is the only thing that will deviate center shot on a bow. So after I tune my sons bow (our draw and set-up are very simular) He will have to recheck center shot in accordance to his grip? That was simple enough. This site is great stuff. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting with fingers may affect center shot with regard to spine. Since the arrow flexes in a side to side motion, you may need to adjust center shot to compensate for spine. I could be wrong but, I'll bet ArthurP knows.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:28 AM

Pretty much agree with what everyone else said. The measurement you get from the factory is a starting point, just line nock height. You may have to tune from there depending on your grip, anchor, release type and the arrow. And yes arrow spine could effect your center shot depending on how far off it was and what sort of release you use. Fingers put some side to side movement into the arrow for sure, as do some types of releases, just not to the same extent. With most releases you will see more flex up and down then side to side though, this is especially so with a string loop.

Paul