Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Longer draw?

Old 01-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Spike

Default Longer draw?

I am 5' 7.5" tall. My arm span in 67.5 inches. My draw length is 27" long.
What would be the cons of me shooting a bow with a longer draw length, 28". I am by a new bow and i found one that i really like but the shortest draw they have for the poundage i want is 28" About an inch too long. What would be the negatives for me to shoot this bow with a 28" draw? Thanks
Old 01-29-2005, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Longer draw?

Krueger, I would suggest you visit a quality pro shop and have the bow set up for you. There are many things to consider in calculating draw length. If you shoot fingers style a longer draw length is common. When shooting a release aid there are many variables. The type of release if you hook to the string or a string loop and where your anchor point is comfortable to you. Take the time to try different manufacturers' products. A quality pro shop will fit a bow for you to try. You'll know when you found the right bow. It will feel natural to you. If you have a particular manufacturer in mind try to find a web page on their products. Than contact one of the suggested dealers that handle you choice. It beats spending a wad of money on a bow that doesn't fit or you are not comfortable with.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:28 PM

My span is 70in which is a 28in draw and I am have been shooting a 29in bow for three years or actually 29in is all I have ever shot. Although I did shorted up the string loop and modified my release making it shorter. I shoot well with system but then again its how I have always set up my bows. I woudl go to your por- shop and try shooting some 29in bows and go with what ever feels best. Take in to consideration of wearing bulky clothing. With a 29in draw you will be strech out a little more and you do not want the string slapping your arm. Anyway thats my input take it as you will.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Krueger, there is only one "pro" to shooting a longer draw and that is 12fps more speed. The cons are many. Not being able to stay in the"wall is one. You may creep a bit and at the shoot you might not be in the valley. This not only affects accuracy, but makes you uncomfortable trying to stay stretched out. You will hit your arm or clothes on the bow arm more often as your are overstretched and have to push with the bowarm more. Your misses will tend to be more left/right oriented. Accuracy can really go south, to put it mildly. And of course, all this can affect your confidnece level which really throws a monky-wrench into the brain.

I am of about the same stature as yourself and have been shhoting about 27.5" (down from 28.25") for several years now with much better results. However, I just recently shortened up to about 27" and the results were amazing so far as accuracy is involved. I'll sure be tweaking things a bit over the next decade or so to find that sweet spot but you can bet it probably won't be to make my bow's draw longer any time soon.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:41 PM

I have the same draw length you do.I have been shooting a 28inch draw for three years now.The issues that have came up are many.Shots going from side to side,anchor point and so on.I just ordered a new bow at 27 inch draw where I should be.Looking forward to see the difference.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:45 PM

As others have said there are several cons to shooting to long of a draw. Here's my personal experience..take it for what it's worth.

My wingspan is 65". I shot a 28" DL (with a string) for a couple years, though my accuracy was never great, but my bow just wouldn't adjust any shorter. Now I got a new Bowtech and had it set at 27" with brass nocks. and WOW, what a difference. It's so much more enjoyable to shoot than my older bow ever was...(now this is a result of being a better bow as well as the shorter DL).

You could probably shoot a 28" DL with brass nocks, but you might find you'd be happier if you shopped around and found a bow adjustable to 27". Check out this thread I started back in December. There is a lot of good info there and you can see a pic of me with a draw length that was too long and my new shorter draw length.

Advice for short draw