Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Blazers vs. Duravanes (4") for long range

Old 01-27-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Blazers vs. Duravanes (4") for long range

I would like to try the blazers this year, and I have heard a lot of good about them, but can anyone tell me how they preform at long range compared to Duravanes. By long range I mean 70 yards +... I shoot fairly well with the 4" duravanes, but if blazer can help than why not.

Thanks ahead of time for the input.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:09 AM

Default RE: Blazers vs. Duravanes (4") for long range

Techy,I'm just as interested in the Blazers as you..Bob
Old 01-27-2005, 12:33 PM

no contest, field points or broadheads, blazers. they shoot better at 70 -80 yds than helical 4 inch feathers (for me). up to about 45 yds everything is the same, except the blazers are quieter than the feathers. i gave up on duravanes long ago. they are not durable like the blazers. shoot a group with duravanes and some of them are ruined. i can shoot the blazers through burlap and they are fine. i fletch the blazers helical.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:35 PM

I was thinking about using miniblazers and some of the new T4 nocks Nick Snook has out for 90 meters.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the blazers and My arrows fly like darts out to 80
that is with a Broad head hitting the 12 ring on a Delta back yard buck.

I like the concept of the T4 turbos but over 13 dollars per dozen is a little steep.
I am pretty happy with the Tne-A- Nocks and the speed Pro Speed Nocks
Old 02-15-2005, 05:28 PM

I did some hooter shooter testing with the blazer and the T-4 with my hooter shooter and picked up about 3inches trajectory at 50yds shooting muzzy 100 grain broadheads.
I just gave some t-4s to the archery guy at the Harrisburg Pa Bass Pro and he did a chrono test and picked up 5 feet per second on his four inch fletched arrows by just changing from the Easton nock to the T-4 The T-4 may be a little more expensive, but it is also more durable than any other nock. Most nocks are hollow polycarbonate and can easily split when hit causing the shaft to be damaged. The T-4 weighs 11 grains and is solid glass filled nylon and reduces greatly the chances of a robin hood. the standard easton nock weighs 13 grains.
The t-4 is stronger lighter and instantly stabilizes the arrow and allows you to shoot with half the size vanes you now use. I just had one of out Team TURBO shooters, Nick Leshyen from Canada shoot a dozen Vegas 300 s in the past week . The t-4 is the only nock that improves stability of an arrow by spinning it.

I also did a hooter shooter test with the new mini blazer which is recommended for mechanicals. I made up a four fletch with the minis and shot the Muzzy and also a satellite 100 grain and got good arrow flight with the t-4. with a conventional nock in the arrow the broadheads would not group well . The T-4 spins the broadhead and gets it past the tuning problem found when using conventional nocks that require the wind to spin the arrow.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:20 PM

What rests are you guys shooting with the blazers? I can't get clearance with the overly stiff high profile. I'm shooting a NAP Quiktune 2000 and my blazers are fletched helical.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:41 AM

I had problems with the quicktune 2000 and 4000 . with any vanes.
including the TURBO with the vanes attached.
The Y shape of the rest would come in contact with fletching on the riser side of the Y
I removed the quicktune prong and put in tm hunter prongs and solved the problem.
one of my shooters simply clipped off about 1/4 inch off the inside part of the Y and got clearance.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

well guys I am going to have to do some backpeddeling on my previous post.

I did get a chance to experiment witha couple of the t4 the nocks a little.

Before I fletched any arrows I left them bare to see what the t4's would do bare shaft
both arrows flew very well without any fletch at all from 20 yards and hit straight, in the same spot as my 3D arrows and had the same POI at 10 with a 75 Wasp Boss bullet as my 3D arrows.

I cut down some 4" duravanes in the same configuration as the Blazers but with a shorter profile at
3.2 GN each, mounted to CR Ultra Hunter 400 shafs on a RW helix which gave me 20.9 GN on the back end and 76.5 Gn on the front and 9.2 % FOC
I used aT4 nock on one arrow and a conventional nock of the same grain weight on the other shaft, at 40 yards the arrow with the conventional nock was hitting 27/8" lower than the arrow equipped with the T4.

POI ot the arrows equipped with turbos and the Wasp bullet verses the same arrow with a field point hit the same hole at 40 yards consistantly.

I' m sold! turbonock T4's ROCK!

you need to keep in mind that the duravanes have a lower profile and are not as stiff as the blazers so the blazers with a conventional nock will get better drag than the Duravanes but with assistance of the T4 Nocks the short duravanes will work awesome, give you a tad more FPS off the string and down range because of weight and less wind resistance.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:35 AM

bps, that was man style. digging this one back up to correct yourself, very cool.