Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Best release for the ULTRA NOK??

Old 09-05-2002, 04:34 PM

Default Best release for the ULTRA NOK??

need a new release...shooting the steel loop. which should i get...need a quick release action and nice feel??
Old 09-05-2002, 05:05 PM

Default RE: Best release for the ULTRA NOK??

IMO you are crazy to shoot one of those. Metal to Metal contact with a release is not a good thing. Shooting a release with a release rope gets past the problem, but what's the point?

A good old string loop is hard to beat and will align your peep if you use one (I don't).

Old 09-05-2002, 06:52 PM

first of all ...u r wrong..i have been shooting one for 6yrs,,metal to metal. so, your point was??? u keep shooting the string..i will shoot the metal..that's why they make both...everyone has a choice...
i have a release..i am looking to c if there is a better one..
Old 09-06-2002, 04:00 PM

If I shoot my Ultra nock XL I like to use one of the Roller Aid releases. It works very well with this system. On the other hand, the Roller Aid sucks shooting off the string. I tried it off the string and with a string loop. With both it would eventually flatten out the string and let it slip thru the bearings. Hitting myself in the face at full draw just is not fun! But like I said it is great with the ultra nock. Since it uses a roller bearing it wears neither the nock or the release. And you can adjust the release to be very sensitive.

I honestly don't see all the problems others have with the ultra nock. Maybe they just don't take the time to set it up right, I don't know. I have had it on and off my bow several times and have never experienced any of the problems people complain about. Other than the weight, that is a lot of weight to add to your string. That is one of the reasons I took it off. If you were target shooting though, I don't see where that would matter. Mine never came loose, never damaged my string, and was not noisy. You do have to take the time to adjust it so it stays pointing at you after you shoot though. All you have to do is shoot it, see what way it turns after the shot and move it in the opposite direction until it does not do it any more. After that mine never spun around or hit my hand like some claim. And I have 6.5 inches of brace height. I tried a string loop and though it sucked, just didn't feel right to me.

I have since decided that due to my short draw length I would rather shoot off the string. That is a more effecient set up for me. I didn't want to give up the inch or so of draw that was required by a loop, or add the weight to the string from a metal loop. If I were to set up an indoor target bow though, there is no doubt in my mind it would have a Ultra Nock on it, or the Magna nock, that I have yet to try but have heard great things about.

Paul
Old 09-06-2002, 11:59 PM

I'll look and see what type I have. It's a caliper style release, maybe a Cobra. I do know it was about 15-20 bucks at WallyWorld two years ago.

I have no problem with the UltraNok XL.and have been using it for several season. I just don't trust them dang stringloops ever since I had one fly apart on me at full draw. It was a one and a million chance, but it blew my confidence in the dang things.

Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish.
Marcus Fabius Quintilianus (35 AD - 100 AD)
Old 09-07-2002, 02:59 PM

I've been using the ultra nock XL for about 4 months now,no troubles at all.I'm haveing very good results with the split fire release.
Old 09-07-2002, 08:54 PM

the strings will blow up. the nok is safe. i was n the shop the other night and a guy there showed me the ball and ball release by tru ball. nice set up, but i will stay with my nok. i will get another tru fire realease. that is what u have,,i shoot darts with it
Old 09-08-2002, 09:35 AM

I've been using the ultra-nock for 3 years now. I'm not too worried about the few fps I an loosing due to the weight of the ulta-nock on the string. If I was, I would tighten my bow down a few lbs, since i'm only pulling 55 lbs. I shoot a tornado from Truball and have plenty of room for the nock of the arrow and the jaws of the release.

The best thing I like about it is I have no string wear from the release on the string and the clamp of the ultra nock keeps the serving from spreading when nocking your arrows, loosing the serving on the string. By keeping the string waxed the way you should, my 3 year old string still looks new on the bow. No worries about changing strings and having to totally reset up the bow.

The one thing that I havent seen mentioned, the ulta-nock also aligns the peep sight every time, no need for those rubber tubes to align the peep for you anymore.

GB

Smack 'em where it hurts!