Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Carbon arrows more durable-not!

Old 01-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Carbon arrows more durable-not!

If carbons were a little easier to pull out of a target, you wouldn't have to bend them back and forth to get them out of the target!!
I'd say hit the weight room and you wouldn't have to move them back and forth.
or just use some lube.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:04 AM

Just thought I'd mention that I've witnessed (or personally shot) many tens of thousands of carbon arrows and I've never seen one explode. I understand that there is a risk, but I'm guessing that it must be very, very small. I've shot many cracked carbons without knowing it until after the shot. They didn't explode. In fact, they didn't even break. I may have shot them dozens of times until I happened to notice the crack. How do I know they were cracked before the shot? Well, I've found dried mud in the crack (after not having hit dirt for days). I've also found soap in the cracks (soap used to make them pull easier). In addition, my eyes don't see well up close and seeing small cracks is not easy for me. To catch a crack when it first happens is not so likely for me.

We voluntarily take much greater risks every day. We also willing put our children under greater risks all the time. Do you drive or ride in cars, climb ladders, hunt out of tree stands, go swimming, drink alcohol or cross a busy street? I personallly know at least one person who has been seriously injured or killed in each one of these activities that we think nothing of. The risks are real and much greater than a carbon arrow "exploding" into our arm. I tend to shoot stiff carbon arrows and I now try to check them frequently. I'm not frightened of shooting them, and I do allow my daughter to shoot them also. I wouldn't let her shoot at 5 grains per lb, but at 7 to 8 grains per lb, I don't see any great risk being taken. I also have to believe the force exerted by a 26" draw, 35 lb bow, isn't that great and a good carbon is probably never going to explode in that situation. Now, when she gets into a car with friends, that scares the hell out of me.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, no. I don't hunt out of treestands. Besides being smart enough not to take foolish risks just to shoot a deer, I don't consider sitting in a treestand hunting. But that's a topic for stirring the pot on a different thread and on the bowhunting forum.

I've also shot cracked carbons because I didn't notice they were cracked. I've also shot some that had internal damage that weren't visible. When you pull your arrow out of the target and all it's innards come spiralling out with the point and insert still in the target.... Each time it happened, it scared the bejeebers out of me when I found out I'd dumped the string on a damaged arrow. None of them exploded in the bow, but each one had the potential to.

When it comes to taking chances with arrows I know have the potential to break, I'd rather shoot wood. It's a lot easier to spot damage with a wood arrow than it is with a carbon, especially a carbon that has a camo coating on it.

Frankly, my cedar arrows are more consistent and straighter than the carbons I've tried - with the exception of ACC's naturally. They're not up there anywhere close on the durability scale, but $18 a dozen for cedar shafts vs $100 a dozen for anything resembling decent carbon arrow arrow shafts? I can bust 5 cedars before I lose money on 'em. And carbon hasn't proven itself 5 times more durable when shot from MY bows. Besides that, they're about 5 times easier to lose!

Honestly, the most durable, straightest and most consistent non-aluminum arrow I've shot has been Carbon Express Terminator Selects and they're fiberglass/carbon composite.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:33 AM

Arthur, I have no problem with shooting wood arrows or any other kind for that matter. I have shot 10's of thousands of shots with every kind of arrow, and they are all relatively safe in my opinion. I was just trying to put things into perspective. How many millions of carbon arrows are shot each day, and what percentage explode, causing injury? I doubt it's even as high as one per day. If I do something that only has a one in, let's say 5 million, chance of happening, I don't get too worried. I'm more likely to choke to death on the popcorn I eat while reading some of the posts on this forum. [8D]
Old 01-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm more likely to choke to death on the popcorn I eat while reading some of the posts on this forum.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur if ya are that worried about a arrow, maybe you should stay at homeyou wont hunt in a tree stand because of the extra risk? but you will draw s string back next to your eye. Hmmm
Old 01-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

but you will draw s string back next to your eye
No I don't! That's an ugly, false rumor you're tryin' to get started. My shootin' form might not be textbook perfect, but it's a lot better'n THAT, fer cryin' out loud! I draw the string next to the corner of my lip.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Besides being smart enough not to take foolish risks just to shoot a deer
If you drive, which I am assuming you do, then I bet you have taken greater risks for things that are less important. i.e. driving to the store for a loaf of bread

I can see where you are coming from on the "not hunting" issue though. Because, I feel the same way about stalking. I see no fundamental difference in hunting off the ground from a fixed position but if you can't figure out where he's gonna be and then be there waiting for me him when he gets there and then shoot him without him knowing what happened. Then you haven't done anything IMO
Old 01-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whatever, SA. You might someday see a newspaper story about me and my pickup getting squashed by an 18 wheeler, but you ain't never gonna hear about me getting splattered because of falling out of a treestand. Likewise, you ain't gonna see any photos on the 'net of MY arm crammed full of carbon splinters.[&:]