Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Carbon arrows more durable-not!

Old 01-23-2005, 09:28 PM

Default RE: Carbon arrows more durable-not!

I have shot my carbons into walmunized (sp?) ties surrounding a target at the range. I have gotten .75" penetration and pulled the sucker out to see that it was not damaged in any way. I guess I'm lucky and have had very good luck with them.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:51 AM

Neither aluminum or carbon are perfect. Each has it's own disadvantages. Another thing - not all carbons are built the same and have great differences in durability.

I shot alumimuns for about 15 years and carbon for the past 8 years. One thing I can say without doubt. I ruin far fewer carbons while shooting targets. I'm not saying there aren't other trade-offs, because there are, but I know my arrow cost/shot is lower with the carbons I shoot.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

If carbons were a little easier to pull out of a target, you wouldn't have to bend them back and forth to get them out of the target!! If I had to say a main reason why I still use aluminum, this would be it. After shooting a 28 station 3d course, I am way to tired after pulling arrows. Aluminums slide right out!
Old 01-24-2005, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

If aluminum were in fact stronger and more durable than carbon don't you think that INDY and formula one race teams would use aluminum over carbon fiber in the constructionof their cars. How about carbon fiber barrels?
Come on, is that really the reason that Formula One racers use carbon?

Carbon filber barrels? What does that have to do with this comparison?

Please explain what you mean.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

...we all know that people don't always do what they are SUPPOSE to do. Now don't we.
Then they ought to have to pay for their mistakes so they'll no better than screw up the next time.

A carbon arrow will take some, actually a whole lot more, bending much better than an aluminum will.
No doubt. On the other hand, many - if not most - top shooters won't allow anyone else to pull their arrows, no matter what they're made out of.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:00 AM

A lot of race cars do use carbon fiber, Most of it is due to weight not strength though. Yes carbon fiber components can be very strong if done right, they are also very light for thier strength and this is why race cars use them. The are also very brittle as well. And very expensive to make. The carbon used in a race car is not the same process or make up that is in your arrows. Or they would cost over 50 bucks an arrow to buy, possibly well over that.

I am not disputing the fact that carbons are tougher, they are. However they do go bad and the tolerances and quality control is not as good for the money. Many believe that you can go to walmart and get a 45 dollar/dozen set of carbon arrows and they will perfect out of the box and remain that way forever. That is just not the case. Yes you can get good even great carbon arrows, but they are not cheap and need to be hand sorted. If you take a 50 or 60 dollar set of carbons and compare them to the same priced aluminums the aluminums will most likely have better tolerances right out of the box. That is the only reason I use them isntead of carbons. They are more accurate from arrow to arrow for the money. If money were no concern I would shoot ACC's.

I've never actually broke an aluminum arrow either, I have broke a ton of carbons dinking around. And as far as talking about creasing aluminums, if a carbon took the same kind of hit it could be bad as well, you just can't see it is all. The damage may be inside the arrow rather then on the outer surface.

Paul
Old 01-24-2005, 11:40 AM

I read an article about gun barrels once and it stated that carbon was 3 times stronger and 5 times lighter than steel. (or visa versa) anyway something to think about
Old 01-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I read an article about gun barrels once and it stated that carbon was 3 times stronger and 5 times lighter.
Then aluminum?
Old 01-24-2005, 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I read an article about gun barrels once and it stated that carbon was 3 times stronger and 5 times lighter.
Then aluminum?

Oops sorry steel, I fixed that
Old 01-24-2005, 12:43 PM

Bullkllr, I try not to shoot hard objects but sometimes things happen[], as I'm not a pro or great shooter. I have only won maybe 15 spot tournements and got a third in the state once. I do shoot good enough sometimes to have arrows impact in my target. I've found when I hear that smack, I've just lost a 8.00 carbon arrow. Before I stopped shooting carbons, I started shooting multiple spots due to the cost of replacement of arrows. I have never said carbons are not durable or a great choice but I feel some people seem to think alum. arrows will bend when you look at them, are so heavy they won't shoot past 40 yards out of a 300 fps bow and won't shoot thru much of anything. I have just tried to point out some short comings of carbon arrows. Alum. have their short comings as well. The safety factor of alum. is what made me go back. I have a 13 year old shooting a 64 lb. Mighty Mite and won't take a chance of an arrow going thru his arm or hand. When I showed him the picture of the guy with the arrow exploded and thru his hand, he said the same thing a lot of guys have " It only happened one time". He was not happy when I told him he couldn't shoot carbon anymore. He's 13 and I have to try to keep him safe. When he get's 18 and wants to shoot carbon again, I will remind him of the danger and he can make the choice. He will have to live with his choice, but until he is old enough to make a mature choice, I'll try to keep him safe. I may buy some ACC's, which I feel other than they will bend(had one do that) take care of the safety factor. The 125.00 a dozen will hurt but are worth the price if I don't have to worry about a missed crack that turns in a tragedy[&o]. Don

Quick Reply: Carbon arrows more durable-not!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.