Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

speed

Old 01-21-2005, 08:41 PM

Default RE: speed

The debate could go on for ever so I only have a few things to say Chuck Adams-Super Slam reflex caribou ibo 254fps aluminum XX78 super slam arrows brass nocks string silencers doesn't seem to have any problems taking any type of animal IMO its all about shot placement
Old 01-21-2005, 09:57 PM

All things being equal(ESP. ACCURACY), I can't see how I'm possible worse off as a hunter with a faster bow.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

All things being equal(ESP. ACCURACY), I can't see how I'm possible worse off as a hunter with a faster bow.
"All things being equal" your not worse off with a faster bow.

Unfortunately for the majority all things aren't equal. What bothers me the most about the whole speed hype is the novice archer thinking he/she has to get the fastest setup out there without understanding or even knowing about the ramifications involved with having the fastest setup.

The majority of folks here understand the differences and have the skills to shoot the fastest setups without suffering in the accuracy department and/or having a well tuned bow.

I'd bet there are also alot of folks here that would be simply amazed at the accuracy they could achieve just by slowing down their arrows from say 300fps to 250fps.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:17 AM

To get more speed, you always have to give up something. Take any bow and shoot a 350 grain arrow out of it, and then shoot a 550 grain arrow out of it. At higher speeds, bows make more noise than the same bow at a lower speed. Heavier arrows receive more of the potential energy on the shot. If you want to increase the speed (without touching the arrow), something has to give. You have to decrease the brace height, increase the poundage, increase the amount of reflex or put a "harder" cam on it. Each of these may make the bow less shootable or noisier in some situations. Obtain the speed by messing with the arrow and the consequences can be even greater.

Personally, I don't worry about the speed of the arrow. I worry about coming up with the best broadhead-shooting arrow I can. Then I set my bow to a comfortable poundage and make little adjustments to get it as quiet as possible. Whatever the speed happens to be at this point is fine. I don't care if it's 230 fps or 300 fps. Neither is more desirable to me. I don't pick a bow because of it's IBO rating. I choose it because of it's ATA, hight brace height, smooth drawing cam, reasonable valley and non-torqueing grip. The fact that it's rated to shoot an arrow at a particular speed is absolutely irrelavent to me.

Something to consider - all arrows fall approximately at the same rate (gravity determines this.). If I mess with my bow and the arrows, to get the speed up from 240 to 275 fps, I've done very little to help at average hunting distances. Let's take two differents bows set up to shoot those speeds and set the sight for 20 yards. Now let's say we shoot at a target at 30 yards using the 20 yards pin, with each bow. The slow arrow with drop 6" from where the 20 yard pin is aimed. The fast arrow with drop 4.5" from where it's 20 yard pin is aimed. Is is really worth jeapardizing accuracy, quietness, smoothnesss or increase the possibility of hitting a sleeve or not getting the bow drawn for an inch and a half less drop? Not in my book!
Old 01-23-2005, 08:36 AM

I'm with bowfanatic and straight arrow on this one. They have summed up my feelings on this better than I could.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:12 AM

What is all this about Speed vs accuracy? People are talking like you can't have both. I can under stand with two different bows the issues involving nock travel, brace height, etc. But with the same bow just shooting lighter arrows it is hard to be less accurate just due to a lighter arrow (excluding the obvious 2grpp or something). I can understand if you so light of an arrow that it is underspined or flying out of control fast, but how is going from a 380 gr arrow to a 450 gr arrow going to make me more accurate? Maybe I am missing the boat here, but I thought you could have both. Unless you guys are all refering to the people that take it to the absolute extreme. [&:]
Old 01-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer to have my arrow go fast and hit what I aiming at So far I am 15 for 15 with my last 2 Patriots and they were both smokin em out there
Old 01-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've done 95% of my bowhunting with recurves and longbows, shooting arrows weighing 520 to 680 grains at between 160 to 200 fps. Never once has any of the hundreds of critters I've shot griped that my arrows weren't fast enough. They tasted just fine too.

I've been saying for years that most people are taking this speed fixation to unhealthy levels.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Techy

ORIGINAL: ewolf

Apples to apples. You are talking of a lighter slower bullet Let me think, I think with an arrow you would have to go heavier to slow it down.

Hey how about this. i will use a .22 because its fast and has more energy than a bow.

Actually the .22 LR is the prefered weapon of poachers and could have possibly killed more deer than any other caliber.[8D]
if you will notice the guy is pretty close to Lousiania where hunting White tail with a 22 LR is legal.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I've been saying for years that most people are taking this speed fixation to unhealthy levels.
as unhealthy as a blunder buss compaired to a 30-06

Quick Reply: speed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.