Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

speed

Old 01-21-2005, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: speed

Apples to apples. You are talking of a lighter slower bullet Let me think, I think with an arrow you would have to go heavier to slow it down.

Hey how about this. i will use a .22 because its fast and has more energy than a bow.
Well there have been enough deer killed with a .22 rim fire to sink the Titanic like it was a dime store canoe with a hole in it
Old 01-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been shooting compounds almost 31 years now. You know, back in the "good ole days" when they shot around 180fps or so at 60+ lbs. Today I shoot 53 lbs and am getting 280+ fps. Believe me, faster is better. And everything else about bows is better, too. Well, maybe the exception would be the price.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well there have been enough deer killed a .22 rim fire to sink the Titanic like it was a dime store canoe with a hole in it
Bahaa haa haa....so true!

First of all perhaps it should be noted that much like beauty, speed is relevant to the shooter. The same bow may shoot a 500 grain arrow 240 fps and shoot a 400 grain 270 fps. Depending on ones perspective both speeds could be viewed as fast, or slow. Compared to the 215 fps, it would be a rocket! The constant in this equation is the fact that the shooting characteristics of the bow producing these numbers is the same, a long (by todays standards, 37") axle to axle, a decent brace height ( 7 1/2") and a smooth drawing cam. The geometry of the bow in this case would indicate that it should be user friendly.

I see nothing wrong with the desire to have a fast rig as long as that is not the only consideration. While Whitetails are the number one animal to hunt in the country, as has been pointed out, there are many who hunt elk, moose, grizzly, boars, and we won't even mention African game. Penetration is at a premium on these animals. While it is true nothing is more important than shot placement, we cannot deny the fact that which ever formula one uses to define penetration, Ke or momentum, speed is a critical ingredient. Energy harnessed and controlled is tough to beat.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:28 AM

ORIGINAL: ewolf

Apples to apples. You are talking of a lighter slower bullet Let me think, I think with an arrow you would have to go heavier to slow it down.

Hey how about this. i will use a .22 because its fast and has more energy than a bow.
Actually the .22 LR is the prefered weapon of poachers and could have possibly killed more deer than any other caliber.[8D]
Old 01-21-2005, 10:28 AM

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

Well there have been enough deer killed with a .22 rim fire to sink the Titanic like it was a dime store canoe with a hole in it

Nuts, SA you beat me to it

Great analogy by the way
Old 01-21-2005, 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

This is gonna be interesting.

I better go put some beer on ice and get the pop corn ready

Too bad I am not 21 yet.[8D]
Old 01-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

BIGBULLS

Is this real numbers?

I would just like to know,I am looking at buying a new bow.I now shoot a hoyt set to 78# a 30 in arrow with a 150 broadhead. Every one gives me crap about my linken logs I shoot, but every elk I have shot has been a pass though.

ty
charles bradford
Old 01-21-2005, 10:49 AM

Speed is only relevant in DRASTIC differences IMO.............why people get worked up over an extra 5 fps here and there is beyond me.

I will use myself as an example.......I have a short draw of 27". I had a Fred Bear TRX and it shot my hunting arrows right around 240 fps. When I bought a new bow I wanted to maximize my speed potential and Bowtech was the fastest bow I shot at my draw length. My Patriot now shoots a heavier hunting arrow at 275 fps.

Is either bow "better" for hunting??..............If I was shooting at an Elk I would say the Patriot but for deer they are both fully capable. The TRX has killed 3 deer in the last 3 years and the patriot took one this fall.

My brother hunts with the TRX now and his two kills were a smashed spine and a pass through so it packs enough power to take a deer no problem.

I do enjoy the flatter shooting Patriot. I can realistically use one pin out to 30 yards and my arrows hit on a nice frozen rope path..........slower bows you can see the arc in the arrow flight when you get out to 30 yards.

You definately don't NEED a super fast bow..........I would say that anywhere near 275 fps is more then enough and most likely overkill. I will be turning my Patriot down this year to about 60 lbs even (maybe 55) on draw weight which will make it rediculously easy to draw and still be plenty deadly with my Stingers...........I'm goin' Nuge style I guess [8D] After needing both hands to pull my arrow out of the ground this year I realized I may be over doing it a bit

I think something that needs to be considered is type of broadhead used as well. If you are shooting 2" mechanicals you better damn well have some power behind that arrow. On the flipside if you shoot Magnus heads like me or SteelForce heads you just need to be accurate and you should get a passthrough.

A poor choice in broadheads can make ANY setup fail.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

BIGBULLS

Is this real numbers?
Those numbers should be pretty close to what you should expect form bows with IBO ratings like that. This is assuming that the manufacturers haven't over inflated too terribly bad. Of course the more stuff you put on a string the slower it will go.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Because you know speed just doesnt matter just accuracy right. Get a grip
That pretty much sums up my feelings , especially when we're talking about hunting! I'd much rather watch my arrow slowly make it's way to exactly where I want it to go rather than not even see it miss!

I prefer to leave the arch in archery right where it belongs!

Quick Reply: speed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.