Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtechs new cam system

Old 01-21-2005, 07:16 PM

Default RE: Bowtechs new cam system

I had looked at the new bowtechs and was also wondering about the new cam system, so I started reading the posts on this thread hoping to find out some valuable info on the system, but the only thing I have found out is alot of people get real defensive about this subject. I hope this cam system is as good as they say. I jsut do not understand why everyone gets so defensive. If alot of people on here are like me, they will never be able to shoot a bow to its full potential. I am afraid posts that turn out like this one may shy people away from these boards. I just wish this post would have given the readers some valuable info, instead it has turned out to be a battle of whos cam can do what and whos can't. I am relatively a new comer to the forum and try to offer up info when I can but someone always seems to get mad when somebody does something different from them. These bowtech shooters are starting to act like the mathews shooters........just kidding, I just had to stir the pot
Old 01-21-2005, 08:18 PM

Anyhow[&:], I saw an Old Glory that has been shot by an employee of the bowtech dealer 2 hours from here. Cam lean is a problem(200 shots a day for almost a month). I did get to shoot one, it was very nice. I do like the cam draw force curve I think it will be very accurate, much in the way the 10MM is a very accurate pistol. However, I can tell when a bows bushings are goning, and that will be a problem on this bow. This is all from the horses mouth. When I walked in I told him it was between an OG and a Protec (which he don't sell). He would have ever reason to make it look as good as can be, however he told me he wouldn't own one until next years models.

As for the attacks that have happen as of this post. [:'(]
Different opinions are fine, just don't make it personnel.

I pose this question to all of those that bought a new bowtech and think its the best bow ever. Has anyone ever bought a bow and thought it was total junk (In the last 5 years) and not the best bow they have ever shot?
Old 01-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not total junk, but I did buy a brand new bow last year that is touted by a few loyalists on various boards as being the best bow out there, bar none. It was definitely NOT the best bow I've ever shot. Not close. BTW, it wasn't a Bowtech.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

tho Pat you must know and see yourself how heavily biased this forum has become,
Kevin, is Bowtech or it's shooters suppose to appologize for winning over their fan base?
-- we used to be able to discuss equipment objectively with no issues as we all
Do you feel you do this now? Considering most of the posters here don't have a vested interest in a company wouldn't they be less bias than someone who does?

.. I find it incredibly sad that there are no places anymore where we can all go to discuss the technical side of products freely and objectively without all of the BS of name brand loyalty.(yes, including Merlin!)
That was the point of my original post. It's seems that when you see someone touting the virtues of Bowtech that we are being biased but when you or someone else touts the virtues of Merlin, they are being objective

I speak with some very regularly, and to a man they are just sick of being attacked whenever they themselves ask a question or respond technically.(ask GRIV about that Pat) Everyone thinks that because we are Pros or work within the industry, that we have no right to learn anymore or comment on other products and I for one don't believe that is right--
Maybe, that has something to do with the way they do it. However, the overall theme of your posts seems to be that there are only a select few that are qualified to chime in on a "technical forum as if it were supposed to be reserved for industry pros. You seem to discount the fact that there are some extremely knowledgeable individuals here that don't work in the industry.

when we do ask or comment, and can do so without having to defend ourselves and our questions/viewpoints at every turn, we can thus all bring the industry forward to build better products
Point in case. Very few of the experts agree on every aspect of archery equipment and each of them that I have encountered appear to make no room for the opinions of others. They seem to be convinced that "their way" is the right way and the only way and everyone else is a pion that lives in the dark. It's is possible to express your views while be diplomatic about it and avoiding being argumentative as opposed to jumping in on a thread in what appeared to be an attacking fashion.

Everyone wants to know the details on how this system ticks, it's quirks and it's technical attributes--just so happened I was the one that asked for tech comparasons and gave examples for debate first. ( and of course immediately got flamed for it, LOL)
The debates and questions are a wonderful thing and desperately needed for the industries sake but again there is a better way to go about it. You didn't get "flamed" for having an opinion you got "flamed" for the manner in which it is presented.

But as I said I don't believe hype, I believe technical data and my own eyes, along with people I've come to know and trust over the years. I will continue with my testing, and I look forward to others' conclusions and especially Norb Mullaneys' Technical review if he is able to test it. Because----It's all in the data my friends......
As well you should however your argument against the Bowtech faithful rings in this statement. One wonders if someone that is so brand loyal and has a vested interest can ever truely give another bow cam etc. it's just deserve?

Finally, is it really all in the data? To most achers, myself included, all of the high end equipment on the market is going to shoot better than we can. It really isn't rocket science. We tend to make mountains out of mole hills. If I like the way it draws and I like the way it shoots and i can kill deer with it consistently and shoot a decent 3D score with it if I so choose then thats all that I can ask. Does everyone agree that all of the top line bows on the market will do this? I personally don't need Norm Mulaney to tell me whether I like a bow or not.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

Finally, is it really all in the data? To most achers, myself included, all of the high end equipment on the market is going to shoot better than we can. It really isn't rocket science. We tend to make mountains out of mole hills. If I like the way it draws and I like the way it shoots and i can kill deer with it consistently and shoot a decent 3D score with it if I so choose then thats all that I can ask. Does everyone agree that all of the top line bows on the market will do this? I personally don't need Norm Mulaney to tell me whether I like a bow or not.

SA-- This quote in itself tells me alot. You don't want to know or learn from others, and you say it isn't rocket science-- but honestly it can be once you dig into it if one so chooses-- you already have things figured out for yourself as to how far you want to go, or how much tech knowledge you want to store, and honestly, that's fine with me, enjoy! There are many others just like you out there who shoot bows with the same thoughts and I have no quarrel with that, but think of this also for just a minute--

IF everyone had that very same attitude towards shooting a bow, then wouldn't we still all be shooting a "treecurve", honestly? Where would archery technology be today if there wasn't always those others of us out here thinking, tinkering, asking questions, and yes, debating? This is how we come to develop future products that are indeed better, so that everyone else who doesn't want to know "can pick one up and go shoot a deer". Of course there are those of us who do not care about the technical side of the industry---but the flip side is that we also have to have those in it who do, otherwise the industry will stagnate and die in short order.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:17 AM

I've seen this so-called 'cam lean' problem mentioned on this and other forums. The worst I've seen is still better than many of the one cam and cam & 1/2 bows on the market.

I'll address this issue if I see it getting worse over time, but I haven't seen it. On our initial Allegiance and Old Glory there have to be thousands of shots on them. There has been no change in cam lean.

I did take the Old Glory apart last week to change the cam size. I was impressed by the very tight fit of the axle to both the bearings and the limbs.

I was, however, disappointed yesterday in the shooting capability of the Old Glory. It kept shooting erratically in the 'Y' mode. Then I realized that I had contacted the flu from my Son. Fever, shakes, chills and loss of strength. "And there you have the rest of the story."
Old 01-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't want to know or learn from others
No, I actually do want to learn I just don't want to have other peoples opinion forced down my throat and treated like a dumb a$$ because I happen to disagree with you. Just as some of the other "techs" here and in the industry do. That is how you tend to come off and you wind up driving more people away from your opinion than you do drawing them to it. You may wind up being right in the end but the only thing you will have one is the argument. You wont have won over any customer share nor any fans. One of the things that has made Bowtech so successful up this point is that they listen to their customers and they are making bows that they want and people are responding. You can't tell people "you should want this", they have to tell you and inorder to be effective you have to listen. Speed, for example, may be of absolutely no importance to you, but the faster you can make a bow while retaining other shootable characteristics, the heavier arrow you can shoot and still maintain good speed and trajectory. Not everyone that wants as fast bow, wants one so they can shoot 300 fps. But if that's what customers want and you want to gain custom share then you have to be willing to listen and respond even if it doesn't happen to be your own personal preference. Afterall, what good is it if you build the greatest bow in the world and very few people buy it? I assume part of the objective is to make a profit so the company can continue to make bows in the future? But again we have skirted the issue which was not the fact that you offered an opinion but rather when, where, and how it was offered. Also, you skipped this question.

. Does everyone agree that all of the top line bows on the market will do this?
Old 01-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

e-wolf, I am in the same boat as you, I was a little concerned of what I would like on the bowtechs but "KNOCK on WOOD" I have not been disappointed yet. Each bowtech has worked beyond my expectations........besides think of it as an investment that is what I tell my wife. I have an old glory on order in target colors, chomping at the bit[8D] can't wait til it get's here......goodluck in your next bow choice. Thanks for the info LEN, sounds like some great info. some people are just stobborn to the FACTS i Guess.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:11 PM

Its over I ordered a Protec. The deflex riser was the big difference. No others have it.[:'(] Maybe next year I will buy an Old Glory and see what its like.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

And all this time reading.........I expected to at least read more technical stuff about these cams.[:@] Instead, just a lot of bickering.

Guys, if you have a problem with one anothers posts, take it to PM. I don't like to read page after page of arguement when I'm looking for the real post to a thread. I probably am not the only one.

As for the Bowtechs E cam. I shot two of them, ordered an Allegiance (which still is not here yet, PAT!) Simply put, these bows are awesome shooters. As for the cam lean. Lets give them some time. We'll see down the road whether this really will be a factor. My personal though is no, this issue will not be prominent. I didn't say non-existant, but I think a lot of us are just dying to hear something bad from Bowtech.

Quick Reply: Bowtechs new cam system

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.