Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Low light visibilty stinks!

Old 09-06-2002, 06:23 AM

Default RE: Low light visibilty stinks!

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
If I can shoot a target at night with a light on the target,I can shoot a deer at dawn.The light is on the target and isn't any more than a flashlight.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

TFox,

I detect a difference between the two. If my deer had a light shinning on them, I'm sure I could use a peep in complete darkness, however they are never lit up while hunting.

It must be that some people have better eyes than others and can use the peep under darker conditions. Myself, I wouldn't use one even if I could see okay through them in low light. I don't like the fact that the peep-body blocks out much of the animal when you're aiming. It makes it difficult for me to center on the kill zone quickly. For me, a peep is a disadvantage in some hunting situations.

I certainly would not try to talk anyone out of using a peep, if they're happy with it, but when someone is not completely happy with one or considering alternatives, I'd like them to know that there are other options that many feel are better for hunting situations. There are advantages when not using a peep and everyone should weigh those against any disadvantages they perceive.

Old 09-06-2002, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well there are two defined schools of thought on the subject(apparently). Those that think you shouldn't be trying to hunt the last 10 minutes of legal hours and those that hunt without a peep sight. Now I would agree that for most people if you are shooting 3D then you will probably be more accurate with the peep. However, the difference in accuracy for someone with solid anchor points will be almost unmeasurable. When I took my peep off 2 weeks ago(from shooting 3D) I went from a baseball size group at 30 yards to a baseball size group at 30 yards. I am not saying they improved but they didn't get any worse either.

Protect your hunting rights, &quot;Spay or neuter a liberal.&quot;

Edited by - silentassassin on 09/06/2002 07:41:07
Old 09-06-2002, 08:00 AM

TFOX

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Accuracy can be achieved without a peep but you CAN NOT achieve as much accuracy without a peep as you can with one<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

How did you ever arrive at such a false belief? What is your understanding of the purpose of a string peep sight, and what is its capability regarding pin alignment with the peep sight?

It is apparent that you are a shooter. However, I will provide you a hint as to what the true function of a peep is and what it is not, and, therefore, what it cannot do.

A peep sight is nothing more than a piece of plastic or metal that has a small hole in the center. There are no crosshairs, there is no aiming dot, there is no rear sight-blade, -fixed or adjustable, there is no rear bead; and the sight pin stands alone in open space.

If you know the answer, then please explain how a shooter cannot shoot as accurate without a string peep?

Old 09-06-2002, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> Darn near ANYBODY can make a good kill shot on a deer at 15 measly yards without using sights! It's a LOT easier to do with a compound than with a stickbow<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Arthur, could you please explain your statement. Why would a 15 yard shot be a lot easier with a compound without sights then a stickbow?

Also, do you shoot off the shelf with your compound. Just wondering how you cant the compound.

Edited by - BobCo19-65 on 09/06/2002 09:34:16
Old 09-06-2002, 09:39 AM

C903

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Oh no! Not a &quot;No Peep&quot; thread again! Hopefully, Muzzy88 put the bubble glass back in his carpentry level where it belongs.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Can you please tell me why you say this about the no peep? I recently swithced to a no peep and find it a great piece of equipment.

I see that you are very opinionated and believe everyone should be shooting without a peep. Your statement that a peep sight is a detrimental piece of crap is BS. If a peep sight makes an archer a better shot and gives him confidence he by all means should be using it. In 15 years of bowhunting I missed 1 opportunity due to low light conditions caused by a peep sight. But in that same 15 years that peep sight allowed me to take 17 deer.

You are probably the same type of guy that believes everyone should be shooting your brand of bow and that all others are crap.
Old 09-06-2002, 09:46 AM

Last night I was wondering about low light conditions and how my rig would shoot with my new no-peep on it. I was impressed with the amount of light that the no-peep collected around dusk. AND I'm shooting very accurately with my no-peep probably even moreso than with my peep on.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:51 AM

Barile

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Can you please tell me why you say this about the no peep? I recently switched to a no peep and find it a great piece of equipment.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I am happy for you! However, why did you dump your string peep if it always served you well?

No! I am not saying everyone should shoot without a string peep because I say so. I am saying that, IMO, it is a piece of unreliable crap, and that anyone who believes a string peep is absolutely necessary to be consistently accurate, is way out in left field.

What if a peep sight had never been invented? Would superb accuracy have been unobtainable?

My emphasis is actually directed at those new shooters who are often misled by inaccurate comments and uncecessary trends.

As for the &quot;No Peep,&quot; it is not money wasted. You can always use it to level your washing machine.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>You are probably the same type of guy that believes everyone should be shooting your brand of bow and that all others are crap.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

No way! How would the toy bow and bow gadgetry manufacturers stay in business?

Edited by - c903 on 09/06/2002 13:06:30
Old 09-06-2002, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

BobCo, the explanation is simple. LETOFF. You aren't under the strain of holding peak weight at full draw and that allows you the time to settle in and get everything aligned just right before dumping the string.

No, I don't shoot off the shelf. I use a flipper rest in the standard position. It is quicker to learn to shoot a canted bow off the shelf, since it's closer to your hand and natural pointing ability, but it's not at all difficult to shoot off an elevated rest. Concentrate on getting the nock of the arrow directly under your eye and align the tip with the target. Eventually, your hand/eye coordination will make the adjustment and you don't have to think about it.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

OK, I understand your reasoning now.

Actually, I shoot my recurve off an elevated rest. Longbow off the shelf. But, I shoot my compound off a prong type drop away rest. No canting allowed.

Edited by - BobCo19-65 on 09/06/2002 13:33:44
Old 09-06-2002, 12:53 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>As for the &quot;No Peep,&quot; it is not money wasted. You can always use it to level your washing machine.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

LOL! Actually, I can't use mine to level anything, because I have one of the newer models that doesn't come with a level.

About 4 weeks ago, I stripped a screw in my no peep when I took it off and put it on a new bow. I ended up selling the new bow and couldn't put it back on the old bow, until I got the no-peep's screw replaced. My groups remained pretty much the same - about 1&quot; per 10 yards, when things are going good.

I think the no-peep trained me to more consistantly anchor and grip the bow, since my groups are slightly smaller than they were before I used a peep or a no-peep. Now, I only occasionally glance at it to be sure I'm still on, but for the most part I don't look at it when taking a shot. I think it served a purpose as a training device, but I'm confident that I would shoot just as well without it. Since it only weighs a couple ounces and doesn't interfer with the shot in any way, I'll leave it on the bow, just for the occasional check.

Quick Reply: Low light visibilty stinks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.