Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

to offset or not to offset

Old 09-04-2002, 05:33 PM

Default to offset or not to offset

I deceided to switch from mech. heads to fixed this year, had a few guys tell me that an offset or helical well improve your shoot alot, and same say depends on the head 2 or 3 blade. Can any one shed some light on this new area for me? thanks.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:37 AM

Default RE: to offset or not to offset

Try shooting them first with whatever fletching design you got. Naturally, if they shoot wierd or fly weird such as plaining or what not then you should try helical. Same concept as a spiraling football.

Also, if the blades of the broadhead seem to compete with the vanes, then a heavier broadhead which moves the balencing point of the arrow forward will give the fletching more leverage over the broadhead.

Nic
Old 09-05-2002, 02:48 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-05-2002, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot both over the years and one thing I can tell you is that helical fletched arrows will fly a broadhead better than straight.

Take a child hunting,for they are not only our future but also the future of hunting. Roy .
Old 09-05-2002, 07:06 AM

Offset or helical fletching will help correct an arrow's flight if it comes off the bow with problems. You can also try eliminating these flight problems by tuning your bow to a greater degree. Personally, I've never found paper tuning to be much use when trying to get broadheads flying good. I personally like to do a bare shaft tuning, followed by fine tuning at a distance of approx. 50 yards.

Other things that may need adjusting include F.O.C., arrow spine or bow draw weight. Personally, I like to try and get great broadhead flight without going to helical. After that, a slight offset is usually more than adequate.

Old 09-05-2002, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

szap, One thing that you will have to take into consideration if you want to move to a helical is rest clearance. Could could actually create a bigger problem if you do not have proper clearance.
Personally, I use a GKF Premier drop away, so I don't have to worry about those problems. I use a two bladed cut on contact head and an aluminum arrow. My arrows with these blades fly the best with a lot of drag. I use a four fletched helical on my arrows, and it works great. They do slow the arrow down a bit, but that's OK by me. I'd rather have the best arrow flight and accuracy possible.