Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Why do you choose to shoot a dropaway rest?

Old 09-04-2002, 12:38 PM

Default Why do you choose to shoot a dropaway rest?

Here's why I do, and I don't think I've ever seen this advantage pointed out in any magazine or forum, but it's the main reason I like dropaways over conventional rests:

Dropaways are absolutely silent on the draw (or can be easily made to be)and they stay that way with no wear. With a conventional rest, I could never be as quiet on the draw as I would like to be. I hunt a lot in Dec. in northern Minn., and when it gets very cold and still, sound really carries, and if your arrow makes noise being drawn, you're busted. Whatever I put on the forks eventually would always begin to wear and start to be a little "scratchy" sounding, including fork tamers, fleece, moleskin, whatever, I tried a lot of stuff. I shoot a lot and it would always begin to wear, and change my tune slightly as it went. I don't have that problem with my TT shakey hunter. One little piece of teflon sticky backed tape on the fork, and it shows no wear after thousands of shots, and it's very quiet.

That's the main reason I like them, and secondly, I like them because arrow capture and retention is excellent.

Let's hear your reasons.

Rod
Old 09-04-2002, 12:45 PM

Default RE: Why do you choose to shoot a dropaway rest?

I switched to get more offset on my fletching.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:48 PM

I am really happy with my new MZE rest. It shoots great and you never have to worry about the arrow falling off the rest when drawing or letting down. It is super quiet and there is no wear like you said. I also really like the fact that hand torque doesn't show as much because the arrow rest contact is for such a short time.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine are quiet on the draw. The best thing is my groups tightened up farther out, noticeably

Phil.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:02 PM

I currently like Golden Key Mirage. This rest does it all when it comes to a drop away rest. It has a nice guard that protects you from a fallen broadhead, the launcher centers the shaft for a fast second shot. It is also more forgiving on cold days when you have gloves on since you can flop that arrow on the launcher. You can also use it with a cord instead of rubber for long term durability. Of course they give you both options so that is great! Also the other thing is that golden key has the best customer service out there. If you have a problem they will fix it and will help you with any problems you may have. I also like th efact you can use some monster helical or 4 fletch & not worry about fletch clearance.

good hunting!

Old 09-04-2002, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I switched because of clearence. Like moonge has stated, I also use a four fletched helical.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:36 PM

I switched for only 3 reasons..ACCURACY,ACCURACY,ACCURACY!!!!!
Old 09-05-2002, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I switched for a couple reasons. One, helical fletching. While its not a neccisity, it sure makes tuning a little easier in the BH department. The other reason is arrow containment. I dont think that a conventional rest can beat the containment features of a couple of dropaways, such as my NAP QT4000. I havent really noticed an accuracy change, but I don't think they will hurt you any.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use drop aways because they make tuning easier and eliminate fletch contact. These factors equal better and more consistent accuracy.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:37 AM

I initially switched to a MZE because I thought that my accuracy would improve for a number of reasons (no fletching contact, reduced effect of hand torque, etc.) and after switching I was able to add more helical to my carbons to aid in the broadhead tuning dept.

My right/left misses have disappeared! Whether they were due to hand torque or fletching contact with the rest I'm not sure (probably both) but I couldn't be happier with my drop away!! FP's and BH's fly the same. What a deal! HotLZ you're right, the draw is absolutely silent.

Quick Reply: Why do you choose to shoot a dropaway rest?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.