Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

A few more refletch Q's...

Old 01-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default A few more refletch Q's...

In case you can't tell, I am new to fletching arrows... I've been reloading my own bullets, for a few years now, I figure it's time I do my own arrows too...

1. What is the best for removing old fletching??? I tried the Saunders pro stripper and it is a POS... It hardly touches the glue... It looks like a good idea, but doesn't work for squat... Any other tricks/tips???

2. What do you use to clean and prep your arrows??? (Carbon arrows)

Thanks!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 08:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A few more refletch Q's...

Razor knife to cut off the fletchings then use the flat back side to scrape off the glue.

Water is all you need to clean carbon arrows. Wipe them down with a CLEAN wet rag and that's it. Let them air dry before fletching.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:11 AM

I have a heck of Time Scrapping off the glue of the carbon arrows . My thought is patentice. But in Putting in the instert into the carbon arrows or after removing the glue Clean them with 90% achoal on the inside of the shaft I use a .30 caliber bronze bore brush and lots of Qtips with achoal.
Good luck
Greg
Old 01-06-2005, 01:01 PM

i use my pocket knife to get the glue off. i hold it at an angle for the big parts and go back and forth real fast and then scrape back and forth at around 90 degrees for the little parts. i don't use a lot of pressure. i clean the shafts with either alcohol or witch hazel. if you get blazer vanes you won't have to do this very often.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:00 PM

Sounds primitive, but I also use a pocket knife, but I use one with serrations on the back at the base of the blade. The roundness of the serration fits perfectly with my arrows, just gotta be carefull not to cut into the arrow....
Old 01-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Simple....scrape like h#ll!!

I personally use a butter knife. That right, a butter knife. The serated side works pretty good at getting the heavier spots of glue off, then I use the backside to scrape the rest. It takes time, but its better than goobering a perfectly good arrow.

I like to use some very fine grade sandpaper to finish it off. It doesn't take too much, just enough to scuff the arrow a little.

As for cleaning, I like denatured alchohol. Just becareful around the nock. I put a little on a rag and wipe the shaft down paying attention not to hit the nock much with it. Never experienced any problems and it does a good job of cleaning the shaft. And, the new fletch sticks like crazy. Since using this procudure, I never had a vane come off.