Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sight Settings

Old 12-30-2004, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sight Settings

I recently received my first bow for Christmas (Reflex Excursion with 3 pin site) and will be tuning it as soon as I get a chance to go to the archery range. Just wondering what distances some of you have set your pins. I was thinking of setting at 20, 30 and 40 yards.

Also, can someone recommend some good books or videos on the basics of shooting? I'm a real "greenhorn".
Old 12-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sight Settings

your pin sighting depends a lot on what poundage your bow is.If this is your 1st bow i would not go to 40 yards more like 10 20 30.I have killed lot deer and have never killed one over 30 yards allthough it can be done i just do not shot that far.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would start with one pin at 10 yards then move back in 5 yard incraments. once you get pretty proficient shooting at 10 to 20 yards with one pin then I would set the first pin at 20, then you can begin to start shooting at longer distances and sighting youre other pins at 30 and 40 yards because the distance between a 10 and 20 yard pin is just too close together and it is reasonably simple to judge how much an arrow will drop from 10 to 20 yards
you really need to make sure the arrow rest is in the center of the string and that the nocking position is in the proper location because this is the most inportant part of of consistantcy and accuracy, always remember move the sight in the direction that the arrow is shooting off.
JM.02
Old 12-31-2004, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to agree with bigpappascout 100% start short until you start to get your form together ,when you start to consistantly put some group's together at 10yrds then move your pin to 20yrds and do the same ,once you start putting some group's together at this range, you can move on to your 2nd pin ,you could set it at 25yrds and work it to 30yrds as soon as your group's start to tighten up and then move to your next pin and use the same process for it .It won't take long and you'll have it set at 40yrds .

nubo
Old 12-31-2004, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Matt, I agree with the 20 - 30 - 40. You may not shoot the 40 yard pin, but by splitting the 30 and 40 you have a 35 yard hold off and that you may need.
Good Hunting
Old 12-31-2004, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Even though mine is set at 20, 30, and 40 ... I totally agree with the above advice. I've been shooting for years, and still think very, very long about releasing on an animal that's 40 yards away. Too much can go wrong that I don't have control of. If the animal simply takes a step, what was going to be a perfect double-lunger may now be a long, frustrating night tracking a gut-shot animal.

That's why my 20 yard pin is green (for go), my 30-yarder is yellow (caution, wait a minute... let's think about this), and my 40-yarder is red (stop! Do you really want to take this shot?). That's also the reverse order that they're harder to see when it starts getting dark... leaving me with my brightest (my green pin) as the last one I can't see... which means the darker it gets, the closer a deer's gotta be before I'm gonna let go with an arrow until I finally lose all shooting light.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

That make's good sense MQ1 .

nubo
Old 01-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

MQ1 That's a great analogy. I'm going to pass your tip on to my student shooters.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

MQ1, that has to be one of the best written and well stated paragraphs I've read on here in a long time!
Old 01-01-2005, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bravo!! I never thought of that. I have those same colors on mine, Im gonna do some switcharoo right now acually.

Quick Reply: Sight Settings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.