Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Which one??

Old 12-28-2004, 07:46 PM

Default Which one??

I am faced with a delima. Long story short, to get my Muzzy to fly good, I need to fletch with right helical. The only problem with that is this, I shoot a 2-prong rest and am running into clearance issues with my feathers. To remedy the situation, I am thinking of a fall away style rest. I am leaning toward the Drop Zone, but a Zero Effect is not out of the question either. I shoot 4 inch feathers, but want to fool around next spring a little to get things fine tuned even more. Yes, I am a nut that like to continually tinker with stuff.....so I was gonna put 5 inch feathers on, obviously now I will have bigger clearance issues.
What do you all think? I don't want to shoot mechanicals, not that I have anything wrong with them, just really like my Muzzy's. Any other ideas??
Old 12-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Which one??

I have problems getting muzzies to fly good also. My bow is tune, shooting bullet holes, etc... etc...

Do yourself a favor and buy yourself some slick tricks. You will never shoot another muzzy. Vanes, feathers, what ever. If your bow is in tune or even slightly out of tune they will fly very well 99.9% of the time.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go with the muzzy rest you'll be glad you did.

nubo
Old 12-29-2004, 06:42 AM

Getting Muzzys to fly good should not be difficult. They have been proven to fly extemely well for many thousands of bowhunters. No reason you can't get yours to do the same. The keys to good broadhead flight are proper spine (many don't have it), spine-tuned arrows, higher F.O.C. (10-14%), good drag on the rear (feathers are best).

Just because your bow shoots a field tip or a particular type of fixed blade broadhead well, doesn't mean it's set up or tuned properly. It should shoot almost all fixed blade broadhead well. The problem isn't the broadhead. You just have to decide whether it's worth the effort to fix the problems. I tune lots of my buddies' bows and arrows, with muzzys and only once did I have trouble getting them flying like they should. That guy had a twisted limb on his bow.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzy 3 blades or 4 blades?

The 4's Should shoot very close to true or you have other issues to deal with. The 3's do required a better tune to shoot accurately.

Yes a drop away would allow for larger helical clearance, which would help guide the BH downrange.

Or you could switch to slicktricks as suggested above, follow the directions and be shooting as good as field points very quickly. They hold true to their claim. I have yet to harvest a deer with them, but they do shoot and group like field points (as long as they spin true- it's in the directions).