Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

what should i do?

Old 12-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default what should i do?

over the summer i decided to make a few changes to my set up. my brother talked me into buying a wb, seems to be a very good hunting rest. went to local pro shop to buy and have it installed. the guy tells me my string is getting worn, so being that it was 3 yrs. old decided it wouldn't hurt to have him change that also. he said they would set it all up for me so i would be close enough to fine tune it. got it home and started shooting, noticed a bad vibrating sound when i shot like when the arrow tip comes loose. turns out the set screws on the wb were loose. upon further inspection i noticed my nocking loop was way high arrow was going into the wb at a fairly steep angle, wb was also leaning forward. corrected all of that, but then found my tiller was over 1/2" diff. from top to bottom, so i adjusted that. turned out great, shooting very good groups, finally happy and season just started. after about 7 weeks of hunting( every sat. & sun.) my new string looks horrible
it is frayed from top to bottom with 2 spots where the strings are breaking. man my old string didn't even look worn compared to this one. my season is over due to other circumstances so i won't be hunting with it anymore this year, but i like to shoot year round. i'm going to get another srting put on, somewhere else, but is there anything i should know to ask or look for. the last pro shop is highly recommended in my area but even if the string hadn't got bad. i still was not satisfied with the way he set it up. he only had me shoot one arrow through paper at 20 ft. and called it good, and that i could fine tune it from there which i feel i did but as i wrote everything he put on was wrong. what do you all think?
Old 12-26-2004, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what should i do?

S.I.hunter do you take it to Dunns in Marion?I ask because of your moniker(S I Hunter)That's a little unusual for strings to wear like they are for you.What bow do you have?Also do you keep your strings waxed?I personally am not to crazy about the WB rest.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

no, its southwest archery in shipman. my bow is a pse tsunami, yes i keep the string waxed, but even after 3 years with the original string it didn't look anywhere near as bad as this new one. couldn't even say for sure the original was even bad. just had it replaced per pro shop guy, figured it couldn't hurt. i know the wb isn't the best out there but works fine for me.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:31 PM

Don't sell the Whisker Buscuit short untill you try it for awhile. I thought I would not go away from a drop away, but had to eat those words. If set up right, it will shoot as well as any rest made. Your string should not be in that shape after so little shooting. I would take it back to the "pro" shop and expect them to replace it. If you haven't snaged it or mis-treated it, they should replace it. If you decide to get a new one, I would spend the extra and get a good string and cable like Winner's Choice. They are a little high but worth every cent, IMO. Don
Old 12-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

I Have set up a few WB on bows and tuned the bow to shoot bullet holes through paper.I don't care for them though because of the drag that they create on the fletches,also where I live and hunt when its cold these things are noisy.Love the Muzzy ZE,Installed one on my hoyt and one on a buds Matghews FX.BCY 452 string is my fav,low stretch&creeep I nicked mine the other day with a broadhead,and had to make another today,I installed it today and tuned,I'll be hunting tommorow.Good luckS,Il hunter.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just double check that your string isn't contacting anything still,you did say that you were getting a lot of vibration earlier and just maybe your string has been making contact somewhere on your bow that's causing it to fray.I'd be taking it back ,too many mistake's have been made from your proshop ,just maybe they'll replace that string if they had a rookie working on it .I agree that winner's choice has the best string out there ,I'll be replacing mine this season as well .

nubo
Old 12-27-2004, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you're the least bit mechanically inclined, what you should do is get set up and learn how to do your own work on the bow. The only way to know the work is done to your satisfaction is to do it yourself. I don't know about you but, for me, it doesn't take much of that kind of aggravation to balance out the cost of a bow press.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

You got that right Arthur.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I Have set up a few WB on bows and tuned the bow to shoot bullet holes through paper.I don't care for them though because of the drag that they create on the fletches,also where I live and hunt when its cold these things are noisy.
thats funny mine isnt noisy at all. in fact i was just out shooting today in below 30 temps and it wasnt noisy at all.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

i'm not giving up on the wb that easy, in fact i like it very much since i tuned my bow. shoots real good. mainly frustrated that everything seemed to be set up wrong and that my new string went bad so fast. think i will look into spending the extra$$. cant find interference with string anywhere, maybe just a low quality string. thanks guys and i kind of like the idea of doing my own bow work just need a bow press

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.