Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech -or- Matthews?

Old 12-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bowtech -or- Matthews?

Want accuracy, forgivness, and an extremely quiet bow??? Hoyt Ultra Tec... The 3D and F.I.T.A. champions can't be wrong...
Old 12-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Also you say that sometimes you can shoot off knocks from 30yds at 350fps but the next day it's not the same story anymore. Wouldn't this be a form or conditions consistency problem and not a bow consistency problem? If you can make a bow perform like that one day, it should still perform like that the next day...
I don't want to speak for 500fps, but I think I know what he meant. To answer your question, you're exactly right: the bow will stay the same from day to day, and yes -- it is a consistency problem. The difference is the degree of consistency. What 500 was meaning is that slight variations in form on a bow this "critical" will result in the differences he noted. The same differences in form with the more moderate brace heights on models such as the Outback or the Liberty would result in far less "plate-sized groups."
Old 12-20-2004, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

dohcrxl, if you are buying your first bow or are relatively new to bowhunting I am gonna state flat out that buying a Bowtech Black Knight or Matthews Black Max is just wrong! Figure in the brace height and extra recoil you are going to get from these 2 speed bows......makes them 2 tough to handle bows. Speed ain't gonna kill, accuracy will.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Between the two you mentiioned, I would choose the Bowtech Black Knight 2. If you want maximum speed, then it is the bow that has it.

That said, none of those responding (including me) have any idea of your level of experience with a bow. The low brace speed bows are less forgiving of form breaks, or any "nervousness" in your shooting, yet with their aggressive force draw curves, no valley, and low brace, they tend to magnify anything less than perfect form. Can they be shot accurately? Absoutely, but there is also much more potential for disappointing days, frustration, and lack of confidence. If you are a rock solid shooter, then you don't have to worry about that.

All that said, one of the best shooters I've owned was a 2001 Bowtech Pro 38 Dual Cam. Fast? Yes, but very stable too with nearly 7" brace height (with the grip removed). I currently have a Patriot Dually that is also very fast, and has a 7 5/8 brace height. They also made the Pro 40 Dually, which was considered to be even more forgiving, and still quite fast. I've owned a couple of Mathews bows, and I'd have to say that I would much rather have an LX if I wanted a fast Mathews than the BM 2. The new Switchback looks like a much more shooter friendly bow than the Max also. JMHO, FWIW. The Darton Maverick Extreme and the Hoyt Supertec are two other nice speed bows.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:55 AM

First, speed isn't everything!
I would go so far as to say speed is the least important aspect of success to the average hunter who is "new to the whole scene ". In my opinion, concentrating on speed can be the downfall to a potentially good bowhunter. You will be far better served at the beginning, to concentrate on building the most forgiving arrow for the bow you choose, finding a bow that you can "hold" rock solid, one with a generous brace height and one that is not too short or with too much reflex.

Outside of 3-D shooters, professional archers and the most successful hunters in the world pay little attention to speed. Why should non-professionals?
Old 12-20-2004, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Does this necessarily mean that the two bows I originally introduced as standing options are unstable, not forgiving, and unshootable to such a high degree?
Yes, I would agree. Bows with short brace heights, extreme reflexed risers and very stiff/harsh drawing cams are not forgiving enough for most shooters to shoot accuractely on a regular basis.

The suggestions of the Mathews Switchback or Outback and/or Bowtech's new Allegiance or Patriot single cam would be better options overall. All of them offer slightly more forgiving design characteristics (brace height, riser geometry, draw cycle) without sacrificing much to the other two you mentioned in terms of speed.

If speed turns out not to be as important to you as you may have originally thought then start looking at the Freedom cam bows from Bowtech. The Liberty and Justice are in the mid-range in terms of speed and yet offer a very smooth draw cycle and decent brace heights which make them a pure pleasure to shoot. I would even suggest the Pro 40 Freedom if a slightly longer axle to axle length doesn't bother you.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

MQ1shooter is exactly on, in what I was trying to say. The BK2 and BM require near perfect form every time to shoot well consistently, and I don't have perfect form. I can also develope the fun habit of drive by punching when shooting these fast bows sometimes. The shot is such an explosive release of energy that I beging to anticipate the shot, and when the pin swings by my spot.....I punch the trigger.

This doesn't happen all the time, or even much of the time, but it happens enough that I don't want to risk it if I'm going to have a deer in front of me.
And yes....these are all MY flaws...not the bows, but the short brace height, reflexed riser greatly exaggerates it.

I will say this though, it is not as much of a problem now that the BK2 is on the longer Pro riser platform as opposed to the highly reflexed riser of the 2000-2002 models.

It is just far more enjoyable to me for eveyday shooting to pick up my Liberty, feel that silky smooth rollover to full draw, settle in to that 80% let-off and rock solid back wall, and squeeze off a shot that is so recoil free, it makes me wonder if the bow even shot at all. I"m getting a whisper quiet 290 fps out of it which is plenty for any application.

Though I've not shot it yet, I think the Mathews Switchback would be in the same category; an excellent bow with forgiving, recoil free shooting.

One thing to think about is Bowtech's new Equalizer cam system. I haven't shot it enough to give a completley informed opinion, but my initial impressions are ....WOW!

It has a little stiffer draw on the front end, but a very smooth transition to full draw with incredible speed given the low level of recoil and noise that it produces.

The Defender is the model I got to try out with the Equalizer cam and it is shooting over 300 fps at a 28" draw IBO. Very few bows that I know of will do this and still give you the forgiving brace height, low recoil and low noise that the Defender provides. They have 2 other models that are even faster in the Old Glory and Allegiance that will still offer the same forgiving shooting characteristics but with the little extra kick that you might be looking for.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

What do you want a bow to do and what is your intended purpose for having it?
Old 12-20-2004, 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

What do you want a bow to do and what is your intended purpose for having it?
After reading all these quality replies, I don't need a Lingenfelter vette but would also like to be able to hang with a stock Viper gts. Translation = 300fps minimum. At the same time, I'd like to be able to hold my own at the range and on the stand with regard to consistency and accuracy. I realize now that being able to drive 350fps into the wrong spot only means I spent a grand just to piss myself off.

So with the BM2 and BK2 having short brace heights, they are out of the question in fitting the above description of my expectations correct? All these suggested bows and their pros and cons are making my head spin. Just once more, could you guys recategorize/ressugest only the bows that fit my revised expectations? Thanks everyone.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

I don't need a Lingenfelter vette
Of course not.........you need a Hennessy VENOM!!

Quick Reply: Bowtech -or- Matthews?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.