Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Jennings CK 3.4R ... in review

Old 12-17-2004, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Jennings CK 3.4R ... in review

It is that time of the year again and another crop of new bows has started to not only debut online but also arrive at the local pro shops. One of the companies to debut their bows early each year is Jennings Archery. Back in September small advertisements started to appear in the various bowhunting publications. One of these advertisements caught my eye. For a change it was not a Mathews, Hoyt or Martin ad. [J] The advertisement was for the new Jennings flagship bow, the CK 3.4 R. The “CK” refers to their limb design…”Carbon Kinetic” limbs. The 3.4 makes reference to the axle to axle length of the bow at 34 inches…and the “R” I am assuming refers to their new “J-Rev” single cam design.

Jennings has made some significant changes to the components used in their new bow design. Lets take a look at the bow and its components.

The Riser

One of the most prominent changes is the new riser design. The riser is of the machined design and is constructed of 6061 T-6 Aluminum. Changes appears to have been made to both the risers overall weight distribution and physical appearance. The mass weight seems to be more evenly distributed above and below the grip. Older NAAG (North American Archery Group) designs tended to lend themselves to be more top heavy in my opinion though not as drastically so as other companies. Second, most of the edges are now gone. Smooth curves seem to dominant the overall design.

(* Note: Though the riser has the swing arm cable guard installed, it is also tapped to have a standard carbon or aluminum cable guard rod inserted in the “high mount” position. No cable guard rod of this nature was provided from the factory but I would assume could be purchased as an aftermarket accessory).

The Grip

As part of the riser the grip style has also changed. Gone are the one-piece wood, plastic or rubber grips found on many of the other NAAG bows from past years. Now two wooden side plates adorn the sides of the grip area. The predominant contact point of the grip is the metal of the riser itself. This reduces the overall surface area that comes in contact with the shooter’s palm thus reducing potential torque issues. From a negative standpoint though this can also lead to cold hands in cold weather as a metal riser tends to remove body heat much quicker than wood or rubber.

The Limbs

Jennings started using a carbon/glass matrix limb on some of their bows two production years ago. They are continuing to use those limbs on all of their more expensive bows. Jennings makes an issue of this by not only naming their new bows by this characteristic but also by providing a clear, unpainted section of the limb to view this carbon/glass matrix. The carbon fiber is used primarily to strengthen and lighten the limb giving it greater durability and a faster return time. This in turn gives you greater energy and a faster arrow speed.

These new limbs are also “prebent” prior to installation. Jennings dubs this “FNT-Force Neutralizing Technology.” The purpose of this design is the same as many of the true-parallel limb/long riser designs currently on the market…namely to channel the limb’s motion up and down upon release as opposed to forward and backward. Both of these types of designs greatly reduce felt recoil and hand shock during the release.

http://www.jenningsarchery.com/bows/...fntlimb_lg.jpg " />

The Limb Pockets

The limb pockets utilized on the CK 3.4R are of the typical 3-sided design. They are held in place securely by the limb bolt. The limb bolt itself is tapped for a larger than average Allen wrench size, approximately one size larger than normal. The limb pockets are also lined with a gel style rubber insert to help reduce noise and vibration transfer from the limbs to the riser.

http://www.jenningsarchery.com/bows/...limbcup_lg.jpg " />

The Cam

Probably the biggest selling point of this new Jennings bow is the cam system. The CK 3.4r employs a new “J-Rev” single cam. It is of what I call the “3rd generation” of single cam design. These types of single cams offer a more rounded overall geometry and are typically meant to approximate the same diameter of the idler wheel. This is done in order to balance both ends of the bow and also to provide improved nock travel. The J-rev single cam also has a perimeter weight installed within the modified lobe of the cam. The perimeter weight design was initially created to reduce recoil and increase arrow speed. Jennings also promotes the new cam system as being dynamically “balanced” thus creating a vibration free shot.

http://www.jenningsarchery.com/bows/...jrevcam_lg.jpg " />

The Cable Guard

Jennings chose to continue to utilize their Swing Arm cable guard on this bow. The Swing arm cable guard is drastically different from just about every other design on the market. It is constructed of a hinged two-part mechanism. As the bow is drawn backwards the second half of the design swings open to compensate for the cable slide movement. It also swings inward slightly to reduce the amount of cable guard induced torque when the bow is at full draw. The cable guard does offer adjustment on the cable slide section itself for those who prefer to shoot high profile vanes or feathers.

Odds and Ends

- String material is what Jennings calls “Techtwist”. They have been using it on all of their bows for 3 to 4 years now. I have found it to be similar in overall characteristics to 450 Plus or S-4. It is separated into two “bundles” and is black and blue in coloration.

- The bow comes in Mossy Oak’s new Break Up camouflage.

- Limb pockets and eccentrics are titanium colored in appearance.

- Riser has the somewhat standard dual mounting holes for an arrow rest.

- A separate stabilizer "bushing" is now installed in the riser to avoid paint/chipping or stripping the threads tapped directly into the riser itself.

The Shooting Experience

Jennings really is pushing the shot feel of the bow as its main selling point. I must admit I have been somewhat spoiled by the lack of recoil and handshock from the parallel limb bows that I have been shooting recently. As mentioned the CK 3.4R’s limbs are not truly of this configuration but the limbs act in the same manner. With this thought in mind I expected for it to have much the same shot feel as a traditional parallel limb bow.

I was not disappointed.

Shot feel is very similar. The bow exhibits literally no recoil during the shot and only a minor amount of vibration/handshock. Now, whether that characteristic is the result of the limb design or the reportedly “balanced” cam/idler combination I cannot say. I suspect that it is a combination of both. Of course, I am equally sure that the bow’s 4.4-pound mass weight is also playing some part in it. A three-part section of the Sims modular stabilizer helped to fully eliminate that remaining bit of felt vibration during the shot.

The bow draws very smoothly and has the overall draw cycle of other rounded single cam designs, namely a very smooth but stout approach to its peak set draw weight followed by a very gradual transition into a moderate length valley. The back wall is not as rock solid as some of the draw stop peg single cam designs on the market today but does not really have a “mushy feel” either. I believe it is solid enough to provide a consistent draw length/anchor point for the average archer

Overall noise levels were very good. I would rate it above average in that category. It was not as quiet as some of the bows that I have tested but then again this bow is not equipped with some of the Sims/variations of noise/vibration reduction devices currently available on the market. I would have loved to fully load it with Sims accessories just to see how quiet it truly could become. Of course, with the addition of those accessories the bow’s overall physical weight would be substantially more than average. As it is with every aspect of archery gear you do not get something for nothing.

Accuracy on the bow is very good. I suspect this is the result of a variety of factors. The bow’s mass weight, the swing arm cable guard design, the 7.75 inch brace height of the bow and the relatively narrow grip are all playing some part in this. I had no problem maintaining what I consider “average” groups for my form at the local shop’s 20-yard indoor range. That says something for the bow as it was only set at a 29-inch draw length during the review and I did feel somewhat cramped during extended shooting sessions.

Speed

The bow has an advertised IBO speed rating of 305 fps. This puts it squarely in the “mid range” in terms of what is available on the market today. With the understanding that the bow has a slightly above average brace height I consider this quite respectable. As we all are aware few bows today actually can be made to shoot at their advertised IBO specifications even when the individual is attempting to emulate such. With a typical hunting setup most folks can expect speeds 40-60 fps less than the advertised IBO rating for their bow.

The following speeds were attained while the bow was set at a 70 pound draw weight and a 29 inch draw length. The only string accessories installed were a standard string loop and a single tied-in nockset.

355 grain ICS carbon = 292 fps
380 grain ICS carbon = 285 fps
440 grain ICS carbon = 267 fps
490 grain aluminum = 249 fps
525 grain aluminum = 236 fps

(*Note: Neither noise levels nor felt vibration substantially increased when going from the 355 grain to the 525-grain arrow)

As you can tell from the various speed/weight combinations the bow loses approximately 1 fps for every 3 grains of arrow weight increased…give or take a fps for the various individual ranges within that group.

Overall Impressions/Conclusion

I like this bow. It has a very solid feel to it. The overall design is very “middle of the road” in terms of specifications and yet the shooting characteristics definitely put it up there with some of the other “pro shop only” bows currently available on the market. It is not a front-runner in any particular category and yet seems to hold its own in just about each and every one. For those of you looking for Jennings to finally step up to plate to play ball with the big boys I think this bow is what you are looking for. Jennings finally has made a step forward in bow design. This bow shoots as good as it looks.
(Some pictures were taken from the Jennings website do to digital camera problems on my part.)
Old 12-17-2004, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Jennings CK 3.4R ... in review

Good report PA.

That cam seems to be particularly efficient with heavier arrows.
It's not exceptionally fast with the 355 gr. arrow but it holds onto it well when compared to the 440 gr. arrow.

355 grain ICS carbon = 292 fps
440 grain ICS carbon = 267 fps
That's only 25 fps speed loss for an additional 85 grains of arrow weight which comes out to 3.4 grains per foot. That's pretty impressive. Especially when you consider this is a 29" bow.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:19 AM

Thanks for your time in preparing this thorough review. I used to be a big fan of Bear/Jennings about 12 years ago. The old Jennings Carbon Extreme is still one of my favorite bows.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Frank, another stellar job.

Was well worth the wait
Old 12-17-2004, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Frank!Great review---what are they using for strings?
Old 12-17-2004, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the time it took you to do the report. Nice effort once again. Care to let us know what bow you are currently playing with?
Old 12-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

SA,

I would agree. The speed numbers surprised me, especially as I get up to the heavier arrow weights. I thought it was going to be a dog.

Blodg,

Thank you. When I have the time I enjoy doing them.

Rangeball,

I am glad you are happy with it. If it wasn't for your urging and that of one or two others I probably wouldn't have put aside enough time to complete it.

jsasker,

They call it "techtwist". I have not looked into exactly what material it is though I did comment on it briefly. I consider it to be about average in terms of overall durability and stretch characteristics.

Jeff,

All I am playing with right now is the Pro 40 Freedom. I haven't had a chance to even look at the new Hoyts though nothing really impressed me this year anyway. Next I am patiently waiting for the a 31 inch draw length Old Glory to arrive......then, I do not know what. I will have to wait and see what some of the other manufacturers come out with.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

PAB, thanks for taking the time and making the extra effort to complete your outstanding report.

With all of the ups and downs of the Jennings line (and its sister companies) I was surprised to see them come up with this bow. Although I have never had the pleasure of playing with one, from your report and one other, it seems like it could certainly hold its own in the competitive bow market.

...Now, the anxiety builds in anticipation of a detailed report on Old Glory, and I am not talking about the Battle Hymn of the Republic here. Although I must say, SA has done an excellent job of whetting our appetites already.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:36 AM

the allegience shoots faster at 28" and 60# draw