Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Extreme VFT what's a good arrow?

Old 12-14-2004, 08:35 PM
VFT

Default Extreme VFT what's a good arrow?

I just bought a Bowtech Extreme VFT and I am wondering if my Beman Hawk's spine size is 400 @ 28.75" with 100 grain tips will be a good arrow for this particular bow. Draw length is 28" and the draw weight will be around 62-65lbs. This bow seems like it has alot more snap than my Darton Extreme at the same draw length and weight.

I would like to know what other Bowtech shooter's use for arrows in the bows?

Old 12-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Extreme VFT what's a good arrow?

Those arrows should be spined just right. And the bow should have more snap and be faster. That's why you bought it.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:50 PM
VFT

I went with the Bowtech Extreme because I want to start shooting 3d, the bow's got plenty of zip. My friend just bought a Mighty Might before I bought mine and I was impressed with it. I went with the Extreme because of the longer axle length and more speed with out going with a dually. I just didn't like that you could only get them with a 65% let off. I'm planning on shooting them with 70 grain tips. that may change after shooting them out of the bow.
I see that your an instructor, got any free tips?
Old 12-15-2004, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any tips?? Yeh, I got 7% Nibbs, 80gr ACC's, 50 gr HotTips, you name it. OOOOH, those tips? Not a whole lot specific. Only what a good friend and pro used to grill into me while we were shooting. Shoot form, forget score. Shoot the bow, let the bow shoot the arrow. Aim the bow, aim the bow, aim the bow.

For quite a while now I've learned the best way to practice is to shoot one arrow and then retrieve it. This takes away any pressure of trying to shoot groups, not to mention that you don't break near as many nocks. Shooting one arrow lets your brain get in gear and make the best shot with that one arrow. Afterall, that's the only one that's important. And while walking back and forth it gives you time to reflect on what you did right, or if you messed up the shot, you think of what to do to correct it. "Never dwell on what you did wrong. Always think what you need to do to make your best shot." From the time you step to the target line think of every part of shooting in steps. Set your feet the same every time--and glue them to the floor. Hand placement. Draw and aim. And aim, and aim, and aim, and........... Notice I didn't say release. You don't think about the release. It just happens.

Now I digress. Tweak your drawlength down to the last 1/16th inch if you want the best out of you. Use the wingspan method to get close. Then work with the bow. It often takes me months before I get every aspect of it down to a Tee. But then I never quit tinkering with the bow anyway. I'm always changing stuff to see what happens, and what works for me. I got my SlayR back in March and am still tweaking. And still getting more speed. I started out shooting 56lbs and 27" draw doing 282fps. Right now it's at 27.5" draw, 53lbs and shooting 306-307fps. Tinker, Tinker, Tinker.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

i have a vft extreme 65 lbs 27.5 arrows shooting golt tip ultra lights 55/75. killed 6 deer w/ it so far this year.all pass thru's.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:02 AM

But then I never quit tinkering with the bow anyway. I'm always changing stuff to see what happens, and what works for me. I got my SlayR back in March and am still tweaking. And still getting more speed. I started out shooting 56lbs and 27" draw doing 282fps. Right now it's at 27.5" draw, 53lbs and shooting 306-307fps. Tinker, Tinker, Tinker.
Oh my!...This VFT's wife, and I cant let this one pass, You what to know what my husbands nickname is at league?...
TINKER!! lol...