Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Jennings CK 3.4R

Old 12-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Jennings CK 3.4R

I REALLY want to know how this new setup is working out before I blow $400 on one.

At 29 1/4" draw using Gold Tip 55/75 arrows / 100 Gr. Muzzy 3 blade, with the bow totally maxed (probably 76 lbs.) can I get it near 290 fps? (it has a large brace height (7.75")

Is the new "balanced" cam beneficial?

I only hunt, so I am not a fan of the polished aluminum parts - is there a black/gunmetal/camo option?? I also do NOT use a stabilizer - will I run into any difficulties with this new bow that I haven't with my old one?

None of the local dealers stock Jennings, so I'm stuck special ordering - so I want some field reports before I buy.

Would I be better off with a Hoyt Vipertec?? I really don't like Hoyt and Bowtech, not for a lack of quality, but moreso because everybody else has 'em, and I like to be a little different.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Jennings CK 3.4R

PAB where is your CK 3.4R review?

I am not sure how you arrived at the 76 lbs. number.

will I run into any difficulties with this new bow that I haven't with my old one?
We don't know anything about your old bow so that would be hard to address.This Jennings bow is the first one from that company in a long while that got my attention. However, I can't be of much help because I have never got to play with Jennings CK 3.4R. I know that I would want to shoot one before I bought one sight unseen.

I did read a bow report that Bill Krenz did. Here are some of the numbers he recorded from his tests on a CK 3.4R set at 29 inches and 70#. Being that he uses a Hooter Shooter for the tests I am 99% sure there is nothing on the string in generating these speeds.

Carbon Tech Cheetah: total weight 348 grains.....290 fps.

Gold Tip XT Hunter 400: total weight 385 grains... 278 fps.

Easton ST Axis 340: total weight 416 grains......... 270 fps.

Easton XX78 Aluminum: total weight 491 grains....248 fps.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

My current favorite bow is a 1998 or 1999 Jennings Airmaster with a pretty radical one-cam. It's 60-70 lb., but my draw weight is set at 76 lbs. The limbs are buried in the pockets, and the cables twisted. I don't know how we arrived at 76, but it is what it is. I would like to get a bit more out of it, but I think it would be a stretch.

I don't want to forego too much speed, but I will sacrifice a little. I'm currently at 290 out of the Airmaster.

This new bow looks a lot like mine, with a little more limb deflection leading to a nicer brace height and solid limbs, and obviously, the new cam.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot the 3.4 and it is not my kind of bow.

It has a reflex of about 2"-2.5" that basically nullifies the good brace height imo.

The cam is a really harsh cam imo and is not very pleasent to shoot.It is a workout to pull and hold,if you creep it will snap your arm off.So basically I would have to back the poundage way down to shoot it comfortably and even then,I am not sure I would be comfortable at full draw.

The bow does seem to be ok as far as the quality but not up to the standards of the bigger companies AT THIS TIME.I do believe they will improve in short time.

AS far as the price,they are much more expensive than $400.00 here in my area.Almost $600.00 so I don't expect them to sell well.

If you are looking for an excellent bow at an affordable price and is a little different than the average person is carrying around.I would highly suggest the Bear Buckmaster 4000.This is a great quality bow with moderate reflex,7 1/4" brace and 35" a-a.It also has an IBO of 310.The best part is the Bow has the Darton CPS cam hybrid cam system.I have also shot this bow and it is a shooter.It holds well and will not jerk your arm out of socket.It shot well, even before I had the cam system setup properly and after I set the cam system up right,it shot awesome.

But I still like my Hoyts.