Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtechs and drop aways

Old 12-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bowtechs and drop aways

With the recent outbreak of 05 Bowtech reports and this new cam system, I'm pretty psyched to shoot one of these guys. (Especially that Allegience!)

My question is, what is everyones experience on drop aways on these bows. I do realize the cable slides don't move a whole lot on the VFT bows. The reason why its a concern of mine is because I like my NAP 4000 drop away. Its been on my bows for about 3 years now and I'm really partial to it. Will this rest work on them? Or would I have to figure out a mod to tie it to the down cable? I can already foresee this Allegience coming home with me if its anything like the prelim reports are claiming.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bowtechs and drop aways

muzzy,
I have a Trophy Taker on my 04 Dually and had no problems setting it up and it shoots great. I didn't even bother trying it on the slide I tied it right into the down cable. Set up that way on my 02 MM also, no problems. I would think the 05's would setup the same.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Muzz,
Not sure just how much slide travel these new "E" cam bows have but it's probably comparable to their single cam counterpart with respect to limb angle.
I don't see a problem with the slide attachment as you really don't need a whole lot of slide travel to activate a rest that is tied directly to the slide.
Nock travel is excellent so the actual tuning process should be a pretty easy affair.
I have an APA Ultimate twister connected directly to the slide of my Liberty and it works perfectly.......I would bet the Liberty is up there for shortest overall slide travel.

Oh yeah.......here's some more reading material on the Allegiance.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=131739
Old 12-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The nap rests can be modified very easly to operate off of the down cabel , the same as a trophy taker . I have set them up that way before and had an old thread with pics , but think its been deleated , its been a couple years .
Old 12-13-2004, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

This question brings another thought to mind. Will the drop away cord tied to the down cable cause an issue with cam timing at full draw. I know that these cams are supposed to be tolerant of timing issues because they are linked only to each other. Now if you add some "pull" due to the drop away rest coming all the way up and the cord pulling on the down cable, does this cause a timing issue that could change when the cord stretches or is replaced and isn't exactly the same length?? Maybe this slight change in timing won't cause an issue, not sure.

MN_BOWHUNTER
Old 12-13-2004, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

On my '04 Patriot I have a VBG fall away and it is tied (actually clamped via QAD clamp) to my down cable. I had fits trying to tune it when it was hooked to my slide. Since attaching it to the cable I have no problems anymore.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

muzzy, you can put a NAP 4000 on, with no problem. I've used lots of them hooked to the slide. Trophy Takers and the HHA 100 will also work fine.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks fellas. The bows are slow to get into the shops I've noticed. Or maybe I'm just impatient waiting to shoot one.

I like my NAP 4000 and unless something better comes out this year, I'll be sticking with it. I just wanted to make sure I can make it work on this bow in the event I buy one.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:09 PM

There's a lot of choices...really anything that attaches to the cables..

Golden Key Futura has products..and I really like the Trophy Taker