Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Carbon VS. Alluiminum

Old 12-10-2004, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Carbon VS. Alluiminum

Beautiful deer there DJ , I would say some of your problem is from inadiquate fletching . 3 inch vanes has no place on an arrow with fixed heads . 5 inch offset feathers would serve you beter . It will make a huge diferance . If you are a left hand archer ,hold the bow with your right hand , then the problem may have to do with nocking point and cabel garud toqure , if you are a right hand archer , hold the bow with your left hand , then maybe hand toqure is an issue , Do you grip the bow with your fingers wraped arround the grip ? if so , that maybe part of your problem .

Ive never seen a 38" arrow , man those must be a pain to carry thru the woods

As far as the cabon vs alluninum thing , ive never seen a pure carbon that was as consistant as a pure alluminum shaft , and accuracy is my first concern as far as hunting goes . If you cant hit hem where you need to all the penitration in the world wont matter . I use beman matrix shafts myself a alluminum shaft covered in carbon , similar to the acc shafts , and if I want to shoot a fixed head I like 5" feathers stearing them .
Old 12-10-2004, 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: djdkman

Just read Bowhunting Q&A in the recent NAHC mag, in there a dude is asking about using carbon for bear.
My buddy put a carbon through both shoulders of a 300 # black bear. They work
Old 12-10-2004, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

So what should you do in that situation? If you sight you pins to your broadheads than how would you practice between hunts? I actually considered getting another sight and use it for the field pionts and then switch for hunting. Just seemed to be a pain in the butt to do that.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jsut like practicing with a rifle. You sight it in to hit X inches high at 100 yards and you know that is where the holes should be. Move your sight to the impact of the broadheads and you know that your field tips will be hitting X distance low and right.

Before I did that though I would move up my nocking point 1/32nd of an inch (about the diameter of your serving) at a time and move your rest about 1/32nd on inch at a time and see if that gets them hitting in the same spot. It doesn't take much at all to cure that problem. Make sure that you only fix one at a time. Either move the nock and get it hitting vertically where it should be or move the rest and get them hitting horrizontally where they should be before doing the other.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you keep everything equal when testing penetration such as weight, broadhead, fletching type, shaft length, bow being used, draw weight, etc the carbon arrow will always out penetrate the aluminum arrow.
Dont forget shaft diameter. Keep that equal also and see if the carbon penetrates better.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the help, gots some ideas to play with now. I pretty sure that this will end up a nock/rest issue if i start playing with it. I am sure it is not riser tourqe because that was the first thing I was taught when a started shooting ...NOT to grip the bow. Just out of curiuosity..what do you fletching shooters do in the rain? I dont me mist or drizzle, I mean staying on stand waiting thru a downpour. One of the reasons that I went back to 4" vanes was because the teflon powders and stuff didnt work very well. Come on give me the secret!

P.S. ijimmy...brain fart in typin' 32" arrow!
Old 12-11-2004, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

BOWFANATIC, you can't compare carbon with aluminum by maintaining a constant shaft diameter because carbons do NOT have the same diameter. That's one thing that carbon has on it's side. Most hunting shafts are .294" or there abouts. Oh, there are a few that are 21/64" to 23/64", but they are meant for target and 3D.

djd, I know what you are talking about with the feathers and rain, but I usually figure that if it's raining hard enough to "ruffle" my feathers then I wouldn't ethically make any shot due to possibility of a poor blood trail. I know ther are times when ya get caught out there, but those times are rare. In that case my feathers can lay down if they so desire. I tune my bow/arrow combination so minutely that I can shoot broadheads on bare shafts out to 30 yards. This is just for tuning purposes, but it's still nice to have confidence in the setup.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

The carbon arrow are great for 3-D shoots where you are shooting at extended yardage for score. You can be off a little in yardage estimation and still hit the vitals. In a real hunting situation, you are seldom shooting over 35 or 40 yards. A light weight aluminum arrow will impact within a fraction of a second of the high speed carbon arrow, but will retain considerably more kinetic energy. To put it into perspective, shoot a deer with a 6mm remington with an 80 grain bullet at a speed around 3,200 fps. Now shoot your next deer with a 375 H&H mag at the same yardage with a 270 grain bullet at 2,800 fps. No comparison, right! That's my opinion. I'll use a carbon for competition where a matter of 3 yards at long shots will make a big difference on impact. When it comes to hunting, an ultra lite aluminum shaft is my choice. With no fear of carbon fibers contaminating the meat.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sniper, you just made everybody's day. Comapring a 6mm to a .375Mag. You gotta be kidding, right? Just like shooting light vs. heavy arrows for deer. It just doesn't matter. You hit them in the vitals and the deer is just as dead. This is really a stupid comparison. The 6mm is better suited for deer sized game due to it's better expanding bullet. The .375 ibullet is built heavier for heavier game, and will blow through a deer without having a chance to expand due to it's heavy bullet construction. But, this doesn't matter either.

How come we Americans always think more is better? Bigger is better? Because we have stupid, preconceived notions about everything, very little PRACTICAL knowledge, and closed minds.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

BG. Sure I'm kidding about using a 375 for deer. Glad you enjoyed it. But the new generation of "Bow Hunters" think that speed is the ticket. You know the ones I'm talking about. They spend a small fortune on carbon arrows that they can brag to the guys at the club that they are shooting a 300 fps. bow. Then the same guy wonders why the bow sounds like a screen door slamin, the limbs crack or let go and there are constantly tuning the bow and replacing strings and cables. A good shot from a "tuned bow" that is quiet, forgiving and stays tuned from season to season without repairs is far better than a bow need constant attention. As far as I'm concerned, carbon arrows are junk for hunting situations along with the mechanical broadheads that were derived since the arrow will not tune with the light weight carbons. I'll match a quality aluminum arrow to any of the carbons in a true hunting situation and I also think that word is finally getting around to many other die hard bow hunters.

Quick Reply: Carbon VS. Alluiminum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.