Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question about new arrows and correct spine..

Old 12-05-2004, 10:08 PM

Default Question about new arrows and correct spine..

I am currently shooting a Carbon Rebel arrow from what the pro shop guy said they are CX arrows. They are 45-60, and from what i remember they are like 11 gpi. Ok i want to get some new arrows that are not quite as heavy and smaller o.d.

Well i went to CX site and if I follow there selection chart it says to go with a 60-75 in the arrows i want which are the terminator selects, but at Keystone where i was gonna order the arrows there book says the 45-60 is what I need. Well it seems that the 45-60 I shoot now is fine. Am I missing something here? I am shooting a 28" arrow at 70 lb draw weight. I want the 45-60 because it weighs only 9.5 gpi, but dont want to be under spined..

Im all confused...
Tanner
Old 12-07-2004, 09:29 AM

Default RE: Question about new arrows and correct spine..

no one knows?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeh, people know. They are at work. Anyway, I'd shoot the 60-75. 45-60 is way underspined for your setup. That being said, I don't know why you want to shoot the Terminators. They are only marginally lighter than what you have. You are apparently looking for some more speed. It's easy to get it, but you'll have to buy better quality shafts, like Carbon Express CX or 3D Selects. The Terminators are only going to give you about 8-10fps more, and you probably won't even see it at anything under 35 yards.

There is one way to gain a ton of speed in most setups. That is to get rid of as much weight on the string as you can. Brass nocksets cost 4fps for each one. A kisser button is another 5fps. Peep tubes is another 3-5fps. Cut down the length of your center serving. about 3" is all you need. If it's the normal 7" or so you're losing another 4-5fps. Keep string silencers as close to the cam as possible. The closer everything is to the center of the string the slower your bow will be. It's very easy to rob your bow of up to 20-25fps just because of the junk on the string and it's location.

Remember, too, that all this is going to make your bow a bit noisier. If it's for hunting you have to decide whether you want speed or quiet OR try to reach a compromise between the two.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, and I forgot to add that Camo shafts weigh about 1gr/inch more than black ones.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the help and I realize people are at work.. I am too, but I posted this sunday just was kinda surpised no one ever responded.. I went ahead and ordered 3D Select..

Thanks again
Tanner