Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Thinking about a new bow

Old 11-25-2004, 10:25 AM

Default Thinking about a new bow

I bought a Darton Mustang bow back in 1994 when I graduated and it is a good bow, I bought it from a little shop back in WV and they did all the work on it, never no problems. Well I joined the military in 1996 and most of the time haven't been anywhere I could hunt. Now I am stationed in MO and am going to get back into it all. Should I just try to start new or try to find a shop that will work on mine and get it set up again. I have been looking at some of the prices online and bows have gotten outrageous, and I know I will pay more at a pro shop, but I get their service on it. I am in the military so I'm not rich and I saw I think a bowtech bow that was over a 1000.00 dollars!! I would just like some more opinions on this. I really don't want to spend more money on the one that I got then next year, say I have to go buy a new one, but then again I don't want to buy a new one, then say I could have got by with the old Darton. I have got one deer with the Darton right before I went to basic training. Thanks
Old 11-25-2004, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Thinking about a new bow

Yes you can get by w/ your old Darton... but I also understand the desire to get something new... I'm sure we all do.

Your bow is prolly gonna need at the very least new strings/cables.. lube job.. ect..

You might want to check out some of the used bows on this forum and over on Archerytalk.com .. you can pick up a bow that's a year or 2 old for alot less than new. Also do your research on the new accessories.. and pick them accordingly.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Used is a great way to get a top of the line bow at mid line prices.
If your wanting brand new, new technology at a moderate price can be had in the Reflex line-up. Some of the lower cost PSE's have all the specs I'd be looking for in a new bow.

Tune your darton up and then shoot it next to the one your considering buying. Then you will know if the money spent is worth the change (literally).
Old 11-26-2004, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have already gotten some good advice. Dave C. is right on with the suggestions. I can only add that I still have a '90s Darton Viper. It shoots for me just as well as any of the more modern bows I have tried over the past 5 years. When I chronographed some of my bows last spring, the old Viper was only giving up 10 fps. to the new bows I was trying at the time. I suggest you put $15 into a pair of Limb Savers (Ultra), a decent pair of catwhiskers for the string (the Allen brand at Wal Mart work very well), and see if you really need a new bow. My Viper has the same cams as your Mustang. You will have a hard time finding a bow that draws smoother and has more speed, even today. Quiet the bow, tame the recoil with a good stabilizer, and the Mustang will work very well. Get your shooting practice in, and get comfortable with the bow again. Then, as Dave said, shoot some newer bows to see how you like them. If you really want to change a little later, you will always have a quiet, good shooting backup bow. JMHO
Old 11-26-2004, 11:41 PM
Fork Horn

Plumbob are you stationed at FT. Lost In The Woods? If so go to Newburg and see Richard Arrons of Arrons Archery 22005 State Route P, Newburg, MO 65550 (573) 762-2226.

Richard sold me my first bow many years ago as a kid and did a trade in on a bow that was worth nothing and made me a resonable deal that could afford. He did me right and although it has been quite a few years ago I think he will do you wright.

If for some reason Arrons does not wwork out there are a couple of bow shops in Rolla and I think there is one in waynesville. either way let me know what happens.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:43 PM
Fork Horn

Plumbob - I forgot to add that Richard will work with you either way you want to go - work on your old bow or completely set you up ready to go to the woods. If you are not stationed at Fort Wood Let me know where your at and I will get you with a good bow shop in the area.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Plumbob!

If your looking to buy a new bow .HatchetJack has a 04 Liberty for sale on the Bowhunting forum, give him an e-mail and maybe you's can work out a deal .

nubo
Old 11-27-2004, 07:07 PM

Plumbob where are you at in Missouri. If your at Fort Wood, there is a awsome shop just miles from you.Aarons Archery in Newburg Mo. If you go out the east gate its just a few miles.If you take J highway to P highway and turn right it just a few miles. Slobbyrobby is right Richard at Aarons really knows his stuff. He caries Hoyt, Parker and a few others as well as a lot of used bows.
I would suggest you stay away fron the Bowtech dealer in Rolla, Archery Unlimited. He has a you bought it its yours attitude. Absolutly no service after the sale.
I hunt on post killed a nice 10 point last year in area 17. They have my picture posted at Range Control for 2003 Big Bucks.Send me a PM wellhave to go hunt onpost sometime. Sharkey