Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

are your arrows too noisy?

Old 11-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default are your arrows too noisy?

So after all the articles that have been written about noisy bows that cause animals to "duck" the arrow, now I read an article in "Buckmasters" saying that the noise of the arrow is actually what the animals are "ducking". In this article, the writer states, and I quote, "When the arrow, traveling 260 ft/sec., was within 3' of it, the diminutive antelope heard it sizzling and ducked away from the incoming missle. It's hard to beleive that its reflexes were fast enough do anything in the few milliseconds between the time it heard the arrow coming and the time of impact, but that's what happened."
So, now this guy is saying that some African antelope has reflexes of a mouse trap, basically. He says the shot was at 20 yards from a blind and that the, "duiker jumped and twisted in the air, and my arrow impacted a part of its body that wasn't even visible to me when I launched it."
Come on, an arrow moving at 260 ft/sec. gets with in 3' of the critter and it has time to react, even a little. I'd be willing to guess that the duiker was actually reacting to the noise the bow made, but he says that he has video proof that the duiker was really reacting to the noise of the arrow, when it got with in 3'. He goes on to say that his article was not written to, "bash anyones product, but rather to illustrate the extremes in arrow noise."
So how many of us will be rushing out to by new vanes, you know the stealthy ones that critters can't hear coming, giving them 3' and nano seconds to dodge our arrows Oh, and apparantly, he went to the Sims lab to use thier knowledge and specialized equipment, and they found that the Sims fletchings were the most quiet. What a coincedence
Old 11-16-2004, 09:29 PM

Default RE: are your arrows too noisy?

I know my arrows can be loud. I shot a deer about a week ago that was 32 yards out. she didnt duck or anything, but to me, it sounded like i shot a pop bottle rocket at her. I shoot feathers though,and wont switch, even though they will be a little louder than vanes.