Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

To glue or not to glue....

Old 11-16-2004, 12:30 PM

Default To glue or not to glue....

I've been building my first set of arrows. On the first arrow, I glued the nock in first and then fletched. Found that I had a hell of a time to line my cock feather down up with the nock. Since then, I just stick the nock into the shaft and flecth away. It is then easy to do some final adjustments to the nock and line it up perfectly with the cock down vane. I was keen to check out how the arrows shoot and forgot to finally glue the nocks in - and they shoot great. This was a few weeks back and I still haven't glued the nocks in and they still work great with no movement being obvious. Is this ok, or should I glue them in?

I use GT 7595's with the std nocks that come with the arrows.

Cheers,

Greg
Old 11-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To glue or not to glue....

Back when I shot a lot of target archery nocks got busted on a regular basis. Replacing them got to be a real pain. So I just started "screwing" them on. Worked for me. Seems like it works for you. Funny how we find things out for ourselves ain't it?
Old 11-16-2004, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

OOPS, that wasw with aluminum arrows. See you are using carbon. Most carbon arrows are not supposed to be glued in the first place.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

do not glue the nock in until after you have fletched the arrow
If you will use regular fletch tite you will be able to remove the nock with a gentle twist with a nock ing tool or a pair of pliers if you ever need to remove the nock however busting a nock off will require an ease out or a left hand flute drill bit.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:05 PM

Thanks for some good advice guys. I was thinking of glueing after fletching, but they do fit really nice and tight and can handle quite a bit of torque while on the nocking point before they rotate. As you guys also pointed out - much easier to replace when you bust a nock now. I'll keep shooting unglued for now. When I find it becoming a problem I can always glue them in later....

Cheers,

Greg