Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mathews...are they gettin nervous??

Old 11-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mathews...are they gettin nervous??

My buddy (PaHardwoods) and I were at out local shop Friday night to get the scoop on when the new Bowtechs will be in and checked out the 05 Hoyts while there. We were talking to the one of the people who works there regularly and she said that Mathews is releasing their lineup on Monday. Kinda interesting considering they usually don't debut until the ATA show in February. Do you think they are a little nervous considering what Bowtech and Hoyt have been doing the last couple years? Personally, I can't see them doing anything different this year other than the usual spec tweaking they have the last couple.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mathews...are they gettin nervous??

Do you think they are a little nervous considering what Bowtech and Hoyt have been doing the last couple years?
Nope! Their only releasing half of their 05 lineup next week and the reason is obviously due to popular demand. It makes perfect sense to stay in line with the other top competitors and give the people not only what they want but when they want it.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

If what is reported is true, they are IMO directly responding to 2 of the Bowtech offerings and it is similar to what they did last year with the early release of the Outback.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:13 PM

are they? are they not? i dunno...but here's the way I always try to look at this stuff. IF they are getting nervous GREAT, we the consumer will only benefit from tight corporate competition.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:20 AM

il tell you exactly whats goin on, it used to be that mathews didnt release ther bows till late because they had such a huge following that everybody would just wait untill they came out and them hop on them but since there inovation stopped 2 or 3 years ago i think people are done being excited and with good reason look what they have offered the last couple years, rubber string stoppers, a new limb pocket and my favorite of all the in line grip? are you kidding me, thank god t hey did something about that grip and at least put a nice on one there conquestapex, shot mathews for years but havent since i shot a bowtech 3 years ago just my 3 cents worth
Old 11-17-2004, 04:53 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think Mathews has anything to be "nervous" about because they've made their money, and if they feel revamping the bows that got them to the top every year for the next 20 years, well that just saves them boatload of R&D and manufacturering money--loyal fans will still buy them regardless. They have been "King" of the top-line hunting bow pile for some time now. But people like change, and current Archery interests wane, new fads and technologies take precedence, and new companies with these fads and technologies move up to top spot every few years---High Country was king in the early 90's when they introduced the hatchet cam, then the MQ1 took hold, etc, it is very cyclic and very predictable. PSE, Hoyt, and Mathews certainly have nothing to fear from Bowtech or any other company, as stated they have made some serious money-- in fact PSE and Hoyt both have far higher overall sales numbers than either Mathews or Bowtech, and probably always will just because they cover a much wider spectrum of equipment, and are true conglomerates. Bow manufacturers must diversify and sell many other products along with bows to be able to reap all of the benefits of the industry. Only a few of the truly large companies do this in volume however, and their sales numbers reflect that.

It still remains to be seen whether or not Bowtech will push Mathews and Hoyt out of the thrones and nestle into the top spot of top line hunting bows for awhile, as well as how long they will be there if they do. They have certainly come a long way in a short time and they should be proud of their accomplishments, but one can only speculate as to how long they will remain "hot", just as Mathews or Hoyt or High Country before them, or anyone else can only do. Something else could possibly come along tomorrow that everyone will flock to instead, one never knows. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 11-17-2004, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think Matthews has anything to fear from other companies...yet. But I certainly feel that if they don't start making some changes to get themselves out of the solocam corner they backed themselves into, they will lose a lot of sales down the road. I personally feel that Bowtech will move past them quite easily in the next few years unless they pull a rabbit out of their hat. Bowtech and Matthews are very similar in design, but Bowtech gives people the "WOW" factor with new cams and so forth each year. The market eats that sort of thing up. Hoyt did the same thing. First with the TEC riser deal, then the cam 1/2 gettup.

I just think it seems odd how they are beginning to get earlier and earlier with their release dates.