Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Recurve or Compound?

Old 11-11-2004, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default Recurve or Compound?

I have another thread going about getting my first compound bow. I also have a thread in the Traditional forum about getting a Recurve bow. I've received many helpful opinions on both BUT some people I've talked to in person (and online) have suggested starting with EITHER a Recurve or Compound but not to buy both at the same time.

So what are your opinions on this? I don't know if I'll ever go bowhunting; I probably will someday. For now I'm more concerned with acquiring an understanding of archery and developing some skill with a bow. Is it just a personal preference or is there a significant advantage to starting with one or the other?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2004, 09:35 AM

Default RE: Recurve or Compound?

Having learned to shoot on longbows and recurves, I would say that there is such a difference between them and compounds that learning both couldn't hurt. Form IMO, is much more crucial to the recurve bows. Since there is no letoff, you'll have to build muscle strength with the recurve.

The compound will initially be much more accurate since you will have sights and the arrows will be traveling a flatter trajectory. If you're like me, you'll like the compound for hunting and 3d type shoots, but enjoy the recurve as a hobby. I just don't feel comfortable aiming at a deer with the recurve just yet, though I've always been a poor instinctive shooter.

Get both if you can afford them! Archery is so much fun and each style bow offers so much.

Whatever you do, enjoy yourself!
Old 11-11-2004, 11:45 AM

The reason I suggested that is because they are two different disciplines, unless you are going to shoot the compound with fingers and no sights. Learning one at a time will be difficult enough, let alone switching from one to the other. It will get confusing and may take you longer to figure things out.

I always thought I should have learned on a recurve first. I mentioned that in a shop once and one of the guys actually said no. He said recurves can teach you some bad habbits like snap shooting and the such that you could carry on to the compound. Then you would have to train yourself not to do it. Plus the way you hold a recurve compared to a compound is a bit different as well from what I can tell. I also think your form is slightly different from one to the other.

I would suggest getting a decent compound first and learn to shoot it fairly well. It will be easier and quicker to master. What fun is doing something if you suck at it and can't hit what you are aiming at. With a compound using a release and sights you will be on target much quicker than with a recurve, at least in my opinion. And thus have more fun and enjoy it more.

Those are just my opinions any way, you can do what ever you want, it's your money I guess.

Paul
Old 11-11-2004, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

Your two comments basically sum up everything I've heard thus far. Mainly, that the recurve is more difficult to become accurate with, and so, may be frustrating for a beginner. The compound, although more complex in structure, makes for an easier learning tool (with the help of a professional, of course !!!).

Thanks
Old 11-11-2004, 02:39 PM

If hunting is not your main goal, at least this year, I would say try the recurve first. I shoot both ways. It is a "purer" form of archery and I feel it is more enjoyable if you just want to dink around and target shoot. Yes, it is much more difficult to hit the bullseye with than a compound, but if you expect that ahead of time, you should not get frustrated. Shooting a compound seems like cheating sometimes to me, it is so much easier.
There are also some books out there on shooting instinctively but being me (a typical stubborn guy), I haven't bought any yet. Guess it is sort of like asking for directions. I don't see why you couldn't shoot both at the same time though either, especially if you go to a range and get lessons.