Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Learning to shoot & bow tuning

Old 11-10-2004, 12:27 PM

Default Learning to shoot & bow tuning

I just bought my first bow and have only been to the range once. I did farely well I think. I was getting OK good groups from 10 yds for being my first time ever to shoot. However, the arrows were not sticking in the target completely level. Now there is a lot of talk about tuning a bow and that sound like a definate must but here's my question:

Should I wait until I learn to shoot a little better before attempting to tune my bow or will tuning my bow now help me shoot better?
Old 11-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-10-2004, 03:20 PM

Default RE: Learning to shoot & bow tuning

Oh, I would definately have the pro shop help with this. I figured since I just bought it from them and they set it all up it would be all lined up correctly. I guess that's not entirely the case.

I'm just thinking that maybe there is something form-wise that I'm doing that is causing my impact angles to be off instead of it being the bows fault. My arrows are not hitting the target level (perpendicular). They are hitting fletching up or fletching down. My left to right is OK although I have my sight aligned as far as it will go toward the riser. After reading the tuning guide, it sounds like it could be a mis aligned nock point...or I could just be a bad shooter.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would also suggest you head back to the pro shop that sold you the bow. They will be able to see you shoot, which none of us can do on the computer.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:08 PM

The arrows will not go in straight on a bag target from my experiance. They take the path of least resistance. You bow will need tuning. Take it to the shop and ask if they can show you how they do it. That way you know how to do it on your own. Also ask questions about what they are doing and why they are doing that.