Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Peep Twist

Old 11-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Spike

Default Peep Twist

I have a Matthews SQ2 and have been fighting a problem with my peep twisting. I put on a new string early each year and shoot regularly. In the summer a couple times a week and from Aug. on I shoot at least a couple dozen arrows a day. About this time of year (for the last 3 years) my peep will start to turn when I draw and not allow a "clean" look through it. If I turn the peep counterclockwise about 1/4 turn BEFORE I shoot it is perfect. I have tried three diffent strings-- 2 Zebras and a Vapor Trail. I am beginning to wonder if there is something with the bow that is causing this. I thought it was string stretch but this Vapor trail looks ok. Does anyone have any ideas? With the amount of shooting I do shouldn't a string last more than 8 months?
Old 11-10-2004, 03:11 PM

Default RE: Peep Twist

sometimes you have to put a twist in the cable and/or string to keep your bow tuned, or to keep the peep rotating correctly. that's just how it is. if you don't have a press take it to a shop and have them add or subtract 1/2 a twist to/from your string. no biggie. if they are gonna press it anyway, ask them to adjust your timing if it needs it. shoot it a few times and have them adjust more if necessary. it doesn't mean your string is bad.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

I use to have a problem with my peep turning also, I fixed it by taking it off and puting a hind sight on. I have used the hind sight for about 3 years now and I still like it. I robin hooded two arrows this summer at 20 yards, one at a 3D shoot. I would recommend it. It doesnt work the best shooting at white targets but it stands right out on a brown or gray deer.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:03 PM
Spike

Thanks for your help. I don't know if I want to keep twisting my string. Seems like a hassle. I don't own a press and don't want to keep going back to the shop. Gundigest- was the Hindsight any trouble to install?
Old 11-11-2004, 05:17 PM

its part of keeping your bow in tune. that's like saying i don't want to get my car serviced because, oh, nevermind.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

No that is not normal at all I have 2 dartons and I shoot all the time one of the strings is 3 years old the other 4 I use I use a string loop and no tubing for the peep. I have never had a problem with the peep. I cant remember the name of the string but my dealer makes them himself they cost aroud 60.00. Yes a little high but then look at how long they are lasting.I will agree if your string is stretching like that then your bow isnt staying in tune.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

kyner , if you have a vapor trail string on the bow now , you should be abale to get it right . tiger strings are junk . Ive never had a problem with vapor trail . Is your peep served in tight ? if not that may be one of your problems . Let us know how it goes , this is a big deal , as noone wants to fight their peep every time they shoot . Are you useing a 1/4 inch peep ?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:35 AM

The problem isn't your bow, it is the string on it. I am not familiar with the vapor trail, but the zebra stings are junk (in regards to strtching). As your string stretches you will notice that your peep twists. You could get a winners choice string that should eliminate your problem. My peep hasn't twisted yet and I have a few thousand shots through my bow. I still have the original string that came on my bowtech. They put strings on that don't stretch over (i can't remember) a 1/4 or 1/8 inch. (Supposedly)

I have heard of zebra strings stretching up to 2". You just have to really keep on it.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Frankly my dear boy, you are asking the wrong people. Get on the phone and call the people who made the string, They know almost all the answers to problems like this. Vapor Trail is noted for making good strings. And the problem ain't the bow. I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that the problem is in how the string is installed on the bow. They do need some tweaking to get them right.

And I agree that bows need a tuneup once in a while. Get yourself a good portable press like the Bowmaster and learn to do your own work. In a few years you be able to answer questions like this instead of asking. Personally I like dicking around with bows. That's how I learn what makes them work, how changing things alters them, etc. I've been shooting compounds for 30 years now and have never had one back in a shop for work.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:33 AM
Spike

BGfisher I agree with you. I started fletching my own arrows, - ect a couple years ago and think it's time to buy a press. I am nervous about undertaking this because I don't want to screw my bow up. Is there any literature around that gives a step by step process on string replacement for Matthews? I would much rather do it "in house" than have to run to the shop every time I need an adjustment. I know Bows need tuning but it's like my car needs its oil changed every 100 miles instead of 3000!!

Quick Reply: Peep Twist

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.