Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

ACC shooters, a few questions...

Old 11-04-2004, 10:11 AM

Default ACC shooters, a few questions...

okay, i posted a few questions about foc's and such of the acc's and didn't have many bites. so, i thought i would start this time with a different round of questions. so, here's take two...

after reading all the reviews of easton acc's, i will be trying them out for next year. just a few questions...first, how easily will they bend? obviously, the aluminum core will bend, but will acc's take more abuse than the xx75 aluminums? second, will the small diameter shaft take a 5" right (or left) helical fletch or is the helical of a 5" feather too much? this should get me started...thanks for any replies.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:35 AM

Default RE: ACC shooters, a few questions...

From what I can gather the ACC's are a little tougher because of the carbon rap, but you can bend them. Thier biggest attribute is that they are very consistant arrows from arrow to arrow. They are even sold in lot numbers I think so if you get new ones you can match the weight closer. I think that is the biggest draw back of cheaper arrows, they have inconsistant spine and weight tolerances. I believe next to perfect form closely matched arrows will get the biggest yeild for being more accurate. I have never been overly concerned with straightness, consistant spine is much more important. I think it is more important than having the proper spine in fact, as far as spot shooting is concerned any way.

If I could afford to shoot any arrows I wanted it would be ACC's or Carbon Express selects. But since I don't have much money I use aluminums because the tolerances are much better for the price compared to carbons. Truth be known I doubt I shoot well enough to tell the difference, its a subconscious type thing I guess. I have shot many different carbon arrows and they all shot pretty well for me.

As far as the helical, man I don't know about that one. You may get them on the arrows alright, but you are going to have to have a drop away rest for sure. I highly doubt that set up would fit thru a prong type rest.

Paul
Old 11-04-2004, 10:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Thier biggest attribute is that they are very consistant arrows from arrow to arrow.
yeah, that's the biggest enticer for me. i have always shot aluminum arrows for their consistancy. i've never cared for carbons, as so many times i run into spine inconsistancies, straightness issues, etc. i just thought that it would be fun (although expensive ) to try something different next season and i want an arrow with the same consistancy as xx75 aluminum...i am a finger shooter so, i would like to have a 5" right helical feather fletch. I didn't know if that kind of fletch would cause problems.

I highly doubt that set up would fit thru a prong type rest.
ha! i'll be pushing them through a WB. (shudder! )

anyone out there putting a 5" helical feather on acc's?
Old 11-04-2004, 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

From what I can gather the ACC's are a little tougher because of the carbon rap, but you can bend them.

Truth be known I doubt I shoot well enough to tell the difference

Yes they are a little tougher than aluminums, but again they can bend. I have seen it many times.

As far as telling the difference you can't tell much unless you shoot long range. I shoot Beman ICS hunters 400's and they are the same price as Easton XX75's. I can't tell the difference between these and other arrows unless I shoot a real long way. Even then I am not sure if I shoot well enough to tell the difference either.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:32 AM

I shoot the ACC 128's but use a 4 inch helical vane. I switrched to ACC's a number of years ago and think in the long run it has saved me money. I very rarly have to throw away an arrow, they seem much tuffer than aluminum. This is of course just my perception but I have used the same arrow to shoot several deer. I have several friend who also switched and agree that they seem better off in the long run with ACC's.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, they are much harder to bend than aluminum arrows. I can't recall the exact specifics, but I know I was shooting at a target in my basement, and my target tipped over onto the ACC. I thought that was it for the arrow, but I spun the thing and it spun, then shot fine. I had another on that I shot through an aging bag target at the club, and it buried itself into a treated 2x4 that was part of the target frame. Again, I wiggled it back and forth until I could unscrew the arrow from the field point, and the arrow spun fine. No bend. Most of the ones I ruined were from other arrows dinging the sides of the arrows. I have sliced a few with Muzzy practice blades trying to see if broadheads were shooting close enough (and being too lazy to go pull each arrow.). You should be able to use a 5" feather fletched helical, but you will have to do some adjusting with your fletching jig to get it just right. My FOC with 28.5" arrows, 3-4" feathers and 100 gr. point was about 13% if I remember correctly. That is with an ACC 3-60.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:43 PM

I have been shooting acc's for years, they are a great arrow, my only complaint is this year i switched from 3-60 to 3-71 for more penetration and i found the 3-71 to be extremely brittle from target shooting to shooting deer, don't get me wrong they did the trick but for the price they should be more durable like the 3-60's. whatever you choose you get what you pay for. Food for thought
Old 11-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO you can't get a better arrow than the ACCs. You can get a pretty aggressive helical with 5" feathers. As soon as I get a chance I'll take some pics of mine.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:06 AM

i found the 3-71 to be extremely brittle from target shooting to shooting deer
hmmm, this bothers me. not knowing how the arrows are constructed based on sizes, i would have assumed that the 3-71 was a "beefier" arrow than the 3-60. can someone explain why the 3-71's are more "brittle?" is the 3-71 made stiffer by making the shaft dia larger than the 3-60's except with a thinner wall, thus making them more "brittle?"

You can get a pretty aggressive helical with 5" feathers. As soon as I get a chance I'll take some pics of mine.
thanks, mike. that would be a great help and much appreciated.

i really want to buy these arrows, but i was hoping that they would be a LOT more durable than my old xx75's. from this thread i'm kind of getting mixed reviews on the acc's durability which was another reason why i am considering them...anyone else want to comment on their durability? how much abuse can they take before they are ruined? any experiences on this?
Old 11-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Regardless of what anybody says, they are much more durable than a regular aluminum arrow. I have a dozen that I bought probably 6 years ago and the only ones I have lost have either been broken by the deer falling on them or other extreme mishap. I have shot many deer with those same arrows and shot many, many targets with them and they are still good as when I bought them. Only problem is most of the writing has been rubbed off from pass throughs and 3d targets. I shoot both 3-60s and 3-71s and have not noticed a bit of difference in them as far as durability is concerned.

I'm still working on those pics for you. I left my camera at work today.

Quick Reply: ACC shooters, a few questions...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.