Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

? on setup of new bow

Old 03-05-2002, 03:40 PM

Default ? on setup of new bow

What do you do when you set up your bow for the first time? This includes site rest and string add-ons.
Polack
Old 03-05-2002, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ? on setup of new bow

Polack,

Could you be more specific with your question? The way it reads now I could take it to mean any one of several things...

..thanks.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:23 PM

Just bought a new bow, say a Havotec, what would you do to get it ready for shooting. This includes the installation of the site, rest and whatever else needed to make it work. What would be your allignment procedure?
Polack
Old 03-05-2002, 07:54 PM

first thing I would do is rough set everything as accourding to what the mfg. sugests. then I would shoot it in for a couble of hundred shots to let the cables & stings to stretch. onceI get to this point I would reset the tiller & adjust the string & cables back to the correct length & shoot it for a hundred more then do the same again. once I do this then I paper tune the bow. if you paper tune right away you will loose your settings once that string & cable starts stretching.

Old 03-05-2002, 10:24 PM

I wouldn't disagree, but at the same time if you write down your settings relative to the rest bolt hole, you will be able to return to them. If you had a high left tear, you may not see any difference.

The first thing I do is set up my grip, if your bow has a good one to start all the better. Then I set draw length, tiller, and basic weight. Then I put on the rest, get the nocking point, and center the rest/arrow to the limb bolts, Then I rough out the sight position based on my face so the 20 yard pin is the same distance above the arrow that my eye is above my nocking point. I center the pin over the arrow, Then I go for the peep position, and work it so that when I am at full draw, and at a confortable anchor, and my eyes are closed, when I open them I am looking right through the peep. Then I paper test, or bare shaft test, then I shoot for groups, and then I set my pins.

Something like that anyway