Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

i wonder

Old 10-31-2004, 07:21 PM

Default i wonder

does any one know if its possible to kill an elephant with a bow
Old 10-31-2004, 08:43 PM

Default RE: i wonder

absolutly....i seen it on a rocket broadhead advertisement in a couple magazines i have.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most definitely, if the shooter is using enough bow with enough arrow weight. Fred Bear took an elephant on a fair chase hunt in Mozambique in 1964 using a 75 pound recurve and something like a 1200 grain arrow. If I was to make a guess, I'd guess his bow was doing all of 55-60 ft lbs of energy. (Kinda makes you wonder why someone would need 70-80 ft lbs for puny-a$$ whitetails, don't it.)

From the story in "Fred Bear's Field Notes":

I wanted a head mount, so the entire head, trunk and tusks were loaded into the hunting car. It took 15 men to do this. The arrow had gone in about 20 inches and did great damage to the liver. Walter Johnson estimated the bull at about four tons. The tusks at thrity-five to forty pounds each.
Bear estimated the blood trail at around 400 yards.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:07 AM

I was thinking about this and wondering" How do they get a good blood trail because i know they dont get a complete pass through?" but then i remembered your tracking something hurt that weights 10,000 pounds...lol. Im sure you wouldnt have trouble finding its tracks, especially if it was hurt. Wow...i just cant imagine shooting an elephant with my bow.