Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Single cam vs. Dual Cam

Old 10-31-2004, 11:33 AM

Default Single cam vs. Dual Cam

Even though I'm new to bowhunting, I've already seen and heard that single cam bows are better than dual cams. I've also noticed that single cams are priced highter. Is there any validity to the suggestion that singles are better than dual cams? Also, if you had to choose one style, which one would you choose and why?
Old 10-31-2004, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Single cam vs. Dual Cam

I wouldn't say that single cams are necessarily better than a dual cam. Both have their advantages. Personally I chose a single cam. In my opinion they are smoother to draw, quieter and easier to tune.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anybody like me that has been around archery for over 30 years knows that dual cam is a better concept than single cam. You'll most likely hear otherwise, but then how many of those guys can say they have shot bows with round wheels, steel cables and dacron strings, 20% letoff, laminated limbs. And then made the transition to machined risers, solid glass limbs, single cam. 88% letoff. Well, I have, and this year, after shooting single cams for 7 years I found my way back to dual cam again. It has many advantages. Usually faster, easier to draw, level nock travel, and the string doesn't angle across the bow going from cam to cam.
Single cam is a good concept. Don't get me wrong, but there are issues such as cam-lean that manufacturers need to address. Some bows much worse than others. One place to read about this is at Spot-hogg's website under the letter section.
The issue that some will make about dual cams is that the cables can stretchunequally on the bow, throwing the cam out of sinc with each other. This can and does happen. But with today's modern string materials the stretch is pretty much gone after a couple hundred shots. Then all you have to do is, if anything has changed, adjust it back to origianl and just enjoy the shooting.

If you want to shoot a fairly smooth dual cam system then try a Martin Cougar Magnum with the Nitrous cam. See what kind of speed you get at a certain weight and drawlength. Then go shoot a single cam bow with the same speed and see the difference. I can almost guarantee you that the single cam will draw harder.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:52 AM
Typical Buck

Do a search on "Dual Vs Solo". Choose topics and body, go back over a year. Lots of interesting reading, and if you find any of my posts from 11/23/ 2002, you will get the entire technical explanation.

In a nutshell---Twins are better for many reasons, and Hybrids are better still because they do exhibit true straight and level nock travel at all drawlengths. They also offer symmetrical systems and do not have that usual "kick" associated with solos of different size cam/idlers and differing limbtip travels. It gets super technical, but the bottom line is that the industry is collectively moving towards hybrids as the system of choice, and doing so for a good reason. JMHO. Pinwheel 12
Old 11-01-2004, 05:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree that one is not better than another. Each has their own pluses and minuses. Shoot both and see which has the more preferable shooting characteristics for you.

Singles?
Duals?
Hybrids?
Equalizers?

Old 11-01-2004, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot singles, and see no reason to switch. Hybrids, and no reason to switch. Maybe the Equalizer will give me that reason. I've shot my best scores with dual cams, and am happiest with the performance I get from them. Tuning is not an issue for me. It's not a constant battle. And I have more options with two cams.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:01 PM

I will add my unofficial and subjective opinion to this, so take it for what you will. I feel that solo's, in general, are actually much harsher to draw, very aggessive FDC. They have to do this to get the speed up with a dualy. Dually's can be very nice to shoot, and once timed, which does take some tinkering, they are a good solid design. They tend to be faster, but do need a bit of tweaking. Hybrids are a nice compromise. They are usually not as fast (there are exceptions, of course) and they tend to have a very smooth draw.
Having said all that, I say a hybrid is a great system for hunting, followed by a dually, and then the solo. Now before people go crazy on me, this is just my opinion. My hybrid is velvet smooth to draw, has a nice valley so your shoulder is not dislocated with a little creep, and decent speed. I know some don't like a valley, and shooting form can minimize the need for one, but having shot bows with both, I like the valley. The forgiveness factor that PW12 alluded to is very true, the hybrids shoot broadheads very well and with less work, in my experience.

Finally, to really throw a wrench in the mix, my next bow will probably be a dually. Why? Because I want a speed bow to tinker with. I will, however, keep my hybrid, as it is a sweet shooter.

JMAC
Old 11-01-2004, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think singles are better than duals. IMO, they generally draw a bit harder, peaking later in the draw, although Bowtech's Freedom cam and the Mathews HP are exceptions. The singles are generally a bit quieter than duals and most hybrids. They are more expensive due to increased popularity (due to lots of advertising in magazines and hunting programs), plus most single cam manufacturers must pay a royalty to NAAG, I think. I prefer duals in general, although I have had a few lately that lend credence to Mathews' claim of synch problems, especially with vertical grouping, creep tuning, and 80% letoff modules. Then again, the last single I had seemed to have semi-serious nock travel issues, and was difficult to tune with broadheads. The hybrids I now have (Dartons) shoot very well for me, tuned broadheads very easily, and seem to stay in tune well. The Tundra is very quiet as well, basically equal in noise to most singles I have shot. I would agree with some who mention the noise level of Dartons that the 2003 Rampage I have with Express cams could be quieter, although it isn't really all that bad, especially compared to the pre-Sims bows I used to shoot.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Single cam vs. Dual Cam
I see nothing ever changes here...
Old 11-04-2004, 03:10 AM

To me Duel cams are a step above Single cams, and the Hybrids are tops when it
comes to ease of tuning and shooting qualities. JMHO.

Quick Reply: Single cam vs. Dual Cam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.