Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can an arrow have too stiff a spine?

Old 11-03-2004, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can an arrow have too stiff a spine?

Paul,it is ashame that the Stingers have gotten their quality up(they didn't use to have great quality) to be one of the finest shafts going and still can't seem to have a decent nock.I believe that Lancaster is selling unibushings for them again(had to quit for a while because of a lawsuit with Easton)Someone is making unibushings(Shrewd,I think) specifically for them and they work great.That was the first thing I would do was to replace the nocks with ADY uni's and G-nocks.Works great.

I have always loved ACC's and have gone back to them because of the great price I get on them now.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:41 AM

I also forgot to mention that until recently I have been shooting a Darton CPS system which has very good nock travel charcteristics. I however don't seem to be having any trouble with my new bowtech using different arrows either. Other than what seems to me an abnormaly high knocking point. But I'm used to it being pretty close to 90 degrees with my darton, unless I use a drop a way, then it seems to like the nock a bit high for some reason.

Tfox, I have been seriously thinking about ordering some stingers and working with the local shop to cut the back end down until I can get a small unibushing in them. I don't think I would have to take much off. I was also thinking about trying the yellow stingers because of the lighter weight and lower spine. Then if the shop will let me play around with the length at 10 or 15 yards until I get the spine closer to what I need (bare shaft testing). That is if they want to work with me, I don't have a cut off saw for carbons so I would have to do it in the shop and have them cut the arrows down for me each time. They may not want to mess with it.

Paul
Old 11-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I strongly suggest NOT cutting the back of the Stingers,it will affect the spine of the arrows in a negative way.I have tried it and you are much better getting the uni's that fit without cutting the arrows.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:10 PM

Cool, thanks for the advice. I hate ordering stuff though. I would hate to mess them up considering what they cost.

Paul
Old 11-04-2004, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I officially announce that this thread has been hijacked.Oh well,it was dead anyway.

Lancaster is real easy to deal BUT their shipping is high so I would suggest a big order if ordering from them.It would probably be better to just order the arrows from them.Shipping will probably be the same.