Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I shot the new 2005 Hoyt's tonight.

Old 10-27-2004, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I shot the new 2005 Hoyt's tonight.

I got the new 05 catalog today and they took the Xtec down to 300 fps but apparently didn't change the bow .Looks like they are phasing the Xtec out for the Vtec.

Waiting on the rep next week to get my bow ordered.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was very hopeful that Hoyt would come out with something above and beyond what they have. But, in my case, I'm disapointed. I haven't shot any of the bows, so it may be too early to comment, but based off the specs on the new ones, nothing in there would propel me to buy one this year. I currently shoot an Xtec. The Vtec has very, very similar specs so I see no need to replace the X with this one.

If I were to buy another, as it looks, it would probably be a new Bowtech to try out. They seem to be offering up fresh ideas this year. I am a Hoyt shooter and I personally feel they make the best quality product of the "big 3", but they really need to start looking forward instead of rehashing the same idea's, just slightly different specs each year.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah Frank,
when I saw the specs on that I wondered if you were going to pick one up. So far that is the most interesting offering out there, for a pure treestand hunting bow.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm disappointed myself, nothing exciting at all. Basically the same line-up, with some cosmetic changes (which are getting very mixed reviews, especially the P-tec and T-tec).

Why bother keeping the X-Tec? Now you have a very slightly lower price point bow w/ virtually identical specs competing with the 2005 flagship V-tec..not smart at all IMO...I suspect they just had a ton of risers left.

And a price hike to boot.

Good to see they put more realistic IBO speeds down. The new safari color option is cool, and the new grip should be an improvement. Lotta folks think the 2003-2004 grip is too small, myself included, and I have fairly small hands.

Hoyt rep is in this week, and I'll be shooting them... and I'm sure they will shoot awesome, but unless the new bows have a lot less recoil out of the box, meh...Hoyt dropped the ball this year AFAIC.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I totally agree Jeff. Hopefully they are just filling in the gaps this year and coming up with something big next year. Nothing in that lineup impresses me. I'll stick with my Xtec as its shooting extremely well for me right now....unless Mr. Bowtech comes calling.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I really don't know why they needed to change much.They addressed the two issues they had with the Protec and completely redesigned it.First issue was it didn't have the Triax pockets and the second was the balance of the reflex riser wasn't as nice as the reflex of the Ultra.The reflexed parts of the Pro to give it balance and added triax pockets.This should be one of,if not the most shootable bow available right now.Oh yeah,it's faster .

I'll let you know how it shoots in about a month.

The Ultratec has already proven itself and as far as the speeds are concerned,I really think the numbers they gave on the Xtec and Ultra were right on last year.It seems that the 05's that are being tested are going above their advertised speeds so I would say they are just being conservative and most will be pleasently surprised.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I really don't know why they needed to change much.They addressed the two issues they had with the Protec and completely redesigned it.First issue was it didn't have the Triax pockets and the second was the balance of the reflex riser wasn't as nice as the reflex of the Ultra.The reflexed parts of the Pro to give it balance and added triax pockets.This should be one of,if not the most shootable bow available right now.Oh yeah,it's faster .
TFOX,

They didn't "need" to change much is probably correct. The only real issue I still have with them is more recoil than parallel limb bows..however, I do believe they didn't change enough for their own good. The Pro-Tec def needed the new tri-ax and the speed bump was good too. However the V-tec/X-tec similarity IMO is a bad move. 5 more FPS and a full grip for a higher price. Nothing there will bump the guy who's happy with his X-tec (the shops best seller by far) into a V-tec. Same with the Ultra shooters. (second best seller). At least 90% of the local guys who bought a Super-tec don't really like them anyways, so I think the T-Tec was also a bad idea. Same specs same speed, arguably goofy riser..more $.

And the same piss poor strings. That's a BIG issue, especially with another price hike. Our shop does a ton of business with W/C thanx to Hoyt, PSE, and Zebra. For the $ high end bows cost these days they really need to come out with better quality strings and cables. They are quiet and durable, but creep and peep twist is abysmal.

I'll let you know how it shoots in about a month.
I'd like to hear because I preferred my Accu-Tec II over the Pro-Tec by quite a large margin.

The Ultratec has already proven itself and as far as the speeds are concerned,I really think the numbers they gave on the Xtec and Ultra were right on last year.
Hmm....From what I've seen only the Spiral cam Ultra's lived up. The X-Tecs, Viper-Tecs and Ultra C.5 tended to run about 5-7 FPS under advertised 2004 specs.

It seems that the 05's that are being tested are going above their advertised speeds so I would say they are just being conservative and most will be pleasently surprised.
I hope thats the case. I'll find out this week I KNOW they will shoot great, I just think they left the door open for others to kick them in the ass.

BTW, just thinking out loud, don't want to sound argumentative
Old 11-03-2004, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

First off let me say I totally agree with the strings from a competition stand point but I am having "good" results with my stock strings on my Xtec.Not great but good.It isn't a matter of material but rather thyy are built is the problem.D-75 is a great material but has to be put together right.Serving is the key.

My 03 Ultra and my 04 X shoot almost identical speeds.At 28 1/2 draw, I am getting 270 fps at 56#'s with 324 gr arrows.Not too bad.

I have already seen some one post they were getting 308 fps with the new 05 Ultra at 29 1/2".

I had one of the first Protecs and loved the bow but balance was an issue.Hope this new one lives up to the billing.

I tend to agree with you that they probably had a bunch of leftover Xtec risers and were needing to phase them out so they bump the price of the Vtec and when the X's are gone,they will be done.

I tend to think they are trying to get people to step up to the Pro so they can see for themselves the difference a deflex riser makes.

I agree that parallel limb bows shoot smoother,they almost have too(because of the design).My problem with them is the drastic reflex of most of them.They need the reflex to get speed and/or a harsh draw force curve,both of which I personally hate.They give them 8" brace and then put 2" reflex on them,offsetting the brace.I am anxious to see and feel the new cam design Bowtech has.The Constitution with the Equalizer cam system looks promising but what are they going to do if there is cam lean.