Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

MATHEWS FX VS. HOYT MAGNATEC

Old 03-05-2002, 06:52 AM

Default MATHEWS FX VS. HOYT MAGNATEC

My buddy is looking for a new bow. He is looking at the fx and the magnatec. I know that the magnatec is a great bow ,but I know nothing about the fx. Any comments about either would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!!
Old 03-05-2002, 09:34 AM

Default RE: MATHEWS FX VS. HOYT MAGNATEC

I have only handled the Magnatec, though I have owned simmilar Hoyts in the past. With the Mathews I have had 4 bows of that type. 3D Hunter, Signature, UltraLight, and FeatherMax.

The easiest way to describe it is as a Mathews/Hoyt thing, if you know you prefer one of those brands then they are pretty typical of them. Pro for the Hoyt is that it has basicaly all the features of a current Hoyt, but with the cheapened riser, not Aluminum. I hate magnesium risers, based on sad past experience, but this is magnesium at a level we couldn't have imagined ten years ago.

With the Mathews, quality-wise you get everything the current bows are made of, but you don't get the latest bells and whistles like limb position, and dampers, those things really aren't all that important, though they are certainly feel improvements. The Maxcam is a good cam, but it isn't a fun cam. It also really helps to know your draw length since it isn't adjustible, if I had never shot before, that lack of adjustibility would kill the Mathews for me. They used to have adjustible cams, at least a little, I don't know why they don't have them now.

For me I would definetly go the FX route, but everyone has to decide what works for them, one thing is that while the Hoyt grip is OK, it isn't all that customizeable. With the Mathews the low grip isn't bad, and they can be reshaped easily, and there are good aftermarked grips available. The grip is the most important feature on the bow for me. When you are shooting, and you are at full draw, you are looking through the sights, shooting off the rest and nock point, holding a release and the grip in your hands. The only part of the bow you are really aware of is the grip, it better be right.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:00 AM

I just purchased the Magna Tec with the versa cam…. The deciding factor for me was getting the biggest bang for my money. I spent 500.00 for a complete Magna Tec package where as if I was going to purchase a Mathews I would end up spending 150.00 more plus the accessories. I shot both bows and liked them both. I just felt I was getting more for my money with the Magna Tec. I like the adjustability of the versa cam, both in draw length and in let off. Both come with a life time warranty.

Best advise is to shoot both of them and then decide. Like everyone has said time and time again… it all boils down to what feels right to you when you shoot it.

Os… what problems did you have with the older magnesium risers??
Old 03-05-2002, 11:23 AM

Mostly I just didn't like them, big clunky things with poor centre shot, nasty looking paint finishes, but I have had cracks also. I know folks who have had cracks in Al risers, but I am not one of them.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would tend to agree with both of the previous posts. I have owned a Magnatec and I have shot an FX. I really liked the FX because it has all of the characteristics that I find attractive in a hunting bow...the axle to axle length, speed, brace height, noise level, etc...

The Magnatec is a bit longer in axle to axle length and might weigh about a half pound more as well. Noise level and recoil/vibration are similar though the FX is a tad faster.

Either would be a good choice and in my area the prices aren't that far apart....around $370/$380 for the XT2000 version of the Magnatec and about $400 for the FX.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:50 PM
Spike

Just watch the sight window on the FX. Its the only reason I got rid of it.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:43 PM

the FX is a nice bow for the money & so is the hoyt. I would try both & see which you think feels better to you. I have a FX & can't complain about anything with it really. It's been a great little hunting bow & now I am going to keep it as my backup bow.