Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

cable wear

Old 03-04-2002, 10:10 PM
Spike

Default cable wear

I have a MQ1 and am curious if anyone else is having problems with it wearing through cables? i got the bow in July brand new and went through two cables by Janurary. Each cable had been reserved approximately 3 times each before i got a new one. In Janurary we put a new cam on it since we thought that might have been the reason with the machining. The bearings were still tight in the axles. The cable is always wearing out where the cam breaks over. At first the dealer thought it was nothing unusual since the sharp angle of the cam but he admits that this bow is going through a lot of cabels..... does anyone know what i can do to break the bow's habit of shredding serving on cables? thanks for you help.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:40 PM

Default RE: cable wear

Reserve the buss with bcy #62 in the 0.21 size, make it really tight and serve it 12" instead of 9" and that should solve all of your serving wear. My factory served busses on my mathews wear out really quick. After reserving then as I have described they last the life of the cable.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: cable wear

This seems to be a more common problem with single cams, the sharp angle to give the solid feel seems to be more "harsh" on the cable. I've seen guys who used BCY #62 in .018 I believe instead of the .021. Just my own opinion that I would think the .021 is too big a diameter (nothing to back that up though). Make sure it is also served so when you twist the cable up it is tightening the serving and not loosening it. I've used 2D for all mine and don't have a problem so wouldn't think it is the material.