Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

no more leeches

Old 10-17-2004, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default no more leeches

Just got off of pse's forums and read about a guy that had a string leech pop off and hit him in the eye. Just wondering what you guys use instead of leeches i used to use whiskers and not sure if there are any other product that work well with out losing speed

thanks
vince
Old 10-17-2004, 10:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: no more leeches

Forgot to put this in the last post. Do you really need to use string silencers with something like thunder box or limbsavers on the limbs?
Old 10-17-2004, 10:36 PM

I like the cat whiskers because they last about the life of the string and do a good job at making my bows very quiet. I just put whiskers on my '04 Pat Dually tonight because the factory silencers finally wore out after close to 2000 shots. I'll shoot some more tomorrow and compare to the factory silencers.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:05 AM

I'm one of those guys who uses the furry yarn type silencers. Call me old fashion, but they work for my setup. I shot next to my friends Whisper Creek bow this weekend. While he has no dampening on it but string leeches, my bow was quieter.... and all I have are limb savers, quiet tune stabilizer and fuzzy yarn silencers...

Food for thought anyway.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cat wiskers
cut into 4 1" strips and tie on to the string with string material when you are finished the wiskers puff up into a perfect 1 inch ball and if put in the right location (right in front of or behind the speed nocks on the string) will not cause any speed loss at the most you will loose 3 FPS with wiskers.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot next to my friends Whisper Creek bow this weekend. While he has no dampening on it but string leeches, my bow was quieter.... and all I have are limb savers, quiet tune stabilizer and fuzzy yarn silencers...
What is supposed to be so quiet about these bows? I have shot them and was not impressed at all! My newberry set at 74# shooting a 250 grain speed pro arrow is quieter than the wisper creek and the only thing I have on my string is a peep and a loop.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTW I forgot to mention that I have had a few friends of mine have a bad experience with the leeches as well bascally the same thing happened to them while using the leeches on their bow string.

Peep tubing is also dangerous I have seem where it has popped off and slap guys across the face at 3 D shoots.

I have had it break in to and hit me in my glasses while shooting
luckaly O had glasses on because there was enough force that it almost nocked my glasses off and it hurt I am sure it could have put my eye out if I had not been wearing glasses.

Needless to say I do not use peeps with tubing on any of my bows.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:52 PM
voz
Fork Horn

I use leeches but I put a "knot" just below them to keep them stationary. It's just a little knot I tie (with serving material)on the string(my peeps are "held in place" the same way)...when removing an old leech, I slide it out of the way, and back in place after the new one is installed.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:07 PM

I don't use any string silencers at all. Just have a peep and string loop.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Bigpapascout
What is supposed to be so quiet about these bows? I have shot them and was not impressed at all! My newberry set at 74# shooting a 250 grain speed pro arrow is quieter than the wisper creek and the only thing I have on my string is a peep and a loop.
Whew... Glad I'm not the only one who didn't think they were quiet! Everyone I shoot with thought they were the best thing they had ever seen or heard... granted, none of us have anything very nice except the Whisper Creek -- which for the money should be nicer IMHO...

Quick Reply: no more leeches

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.