Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

no more leeches

Old 10-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: no more leeches

Well i think im gonna try shooting for a while without anything on the string other then the loop and peep. I used to kill deer with my od bow that had a peep, loop, and leeches when it was still noisy as hell i dont see why i cant do it with this one. It is probably quieter with just the loop and peep then the old one with all the silencers. Whats the worst that could happen if i dont like it add some whiskers.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:44 PM

i have only good things the say about them. no trouble here but i place a small amount of serving on top and cross center and tie off on the bottom.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:58 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: rewhaley

i have only good things the say about them. no trouble here but i place a small amount of serving on top and cross center and tie off on the bottom.
Same here ,
I serve mine in with dental floss on the advice of Deadshot's buddy Moe and it really helps . My biggest complaint with String Leeches is that the arms break easily , other than that they are a great product .
Old 10-20-2004, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you're drawing the string to near the corner of your mouth, shouldn't the resultant string angle keep the leeches well away from your eyes?

How the heck are they coming off and hitting people in the eyes? Perhaps they are a bit more than a tad long on their draw...
Old 10-20-2004, 07:56 AM

To add to my earlier post. The reason I do not use any string sliencers is because:

1. They are just one more thing to go wrong at the moment of truth.
2. They add more stuff to the string which may cause a loss in arrow speed? Don't know if it's true but thats a topic for another thread.
3. I can't hear any noticable loss of string noise. Granted, my friends ears and mine are no where near as good as a deer but we still can't tell a difference. Of course Sims is going to say they quiet noise. Isn't that all part of marketing?

I have never been hit in the face with a leech or cat whiskers although they have broken on me before.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:53 PM

I think right on the box it says leeches are only supposed to last for about 1000 shots. They are pretty cheap to replace to. I have easily put 2000 shots through mine and haven't had any problems with breaking or anything. In response to G2 the 1-2 fps you lose with a string leech pays off tremendously in the noise reduction. They work just as well as beaver balls and cat whiskers, if not better, and they cause a much smaller loss in arrow speed than the bigger silencers. You can't get completely silent unless you don't shoot, but every little but helps.