Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I'm so confused...

Old 03-04-2002, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'm so confused...

Since I purchased my Diamond Hornet, I have been under the understanding that it was set at a 28" draw. My wingspan measurement says I should shoot 27.5", which almost seemed right, as my bow "at 28" felt a little long, and I'm having to reach/push a little more than necessary with my bow arm...

My brother finally was laid off for a few weeks, so I stopped by his place today to have him take the actual measurement while I drew. Clipping the release directly to the string, 27.25" from nock valley to the narrow part of the grip. Adding 1.75" to this puts the bow at 29" draw, not the 28" I thought it was set at.

I'm getting ready to send it to Diamond for some tweaking, and would like to have them set the draw length as well. I'm thinking in light of this new info, I should have it set at 28.5", and if this is still a little long, I can twist it down to 28.25" or so. Same for if it's too short, but I doubt it...

Sound like a plan, or do you have another recommendation?
Old 03-04-2002, 11:46 AM
tm
Fork Horn

Default RE: I'm so confused...

As long as you're sending it in anyway just as well let them do it. If they're going to charge you for the new cam or module you just as well keep the current ones also so you can fit more draw lengths if you decide to sell the bow.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rangeball,

I am not familiar with the specific cam system on the Diamond Hornet but I think it is a single track idler wheel style single cam, right? Does it have separate modules for the different draw lengths?..or does it require a different sized cam?

If I am thinking clearly then isn't Diamond using the same type of cams that Bowtech uses? If that was the case and it uses a modular based draw length adjustment system then how would you plan on twisting the string to shorten the draw length and not have the cam timing affected?
Old 03-04-2002, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Diamond used/uses the Bowtech PF single cam, single track idler. Draw length is adjustable with modules, I'm hoping in 1/2" increments...

I plan to have them do the adjustment, just really wrestling with what draw length to have it set at... I wish Len or others had a shop around here...
Old 03-04-2002, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

Range-

You need to determine your drawlength as close as possible, so they can set your drawlength at the factory when they have it there. You CAN tweak them slightly, but not alot or they'll be out of synch, so you'll have to be fairly close. Seeing as they're modular, and if you are not sure on your drawlength, I would opt for a couple of extra mods (shorter, longer) to have with it. Price is minimal. Good luck. Pinwheel 12
Old 03-04-2002, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pinwheel, do you know if they mods are available in 1/2" increments for the bowtech PF single cam?
Old 03-04-2002, 01:02 PM

I'm sure your brother is a great guy, but you should be able to get a measurement within a few inches without his help. Put a washer type thing, I like to use those drill bit split stop collars that are adjustible for tension, but it could be anything, a Malomar cookie for instance, on your arrow. When you draw it moves up the shaft and stays put when you let down. With that you should be able to get a measurement either from the back of the bow, or the rest position, and bingo you have a basis for your measurement.

When it comes to getting the factory to tinker with this measurement, it doesn't sound like either of your measured "true draws" are actualy equivalent to their marking on the bow, so be careful to comunicate what you want done, so that they don't give you the number you are requesting in terms of their own suspect measurements.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hadn't thought of that, Ossage, and I'm usually pretty on the ball with McGiver type solutions...

I'll give it a whirl a few times to see if I come up with similar measurements. And I agree. I plan to tell them to hit my #, not theirs...
Old 03-04-2002, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

Range-

No, all Diamond post feed mods are available in 1" increments only. (sorry) Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 03-04-2002, 03:54 PM

I have never gone by the "wingspan" method for determining draw length.
Best thing to do is draw the bow back and find a good anchor. Let a pro or someone with experience look at your anchor and determine if it is correct. I have even looked in a mirror while at full draw before. It is very easy to think you have the correct draw length, but in reality it is too long. Corner of mouth and tip of nose is a good place to start for an anchor.

Quick Reply: I'm so confused...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.