Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

TOO MUCH HELICAL ??

Old 10-16-2004, 11:29 AM

Default RE: TOO MUCH HELICAL ??

It actually is a little more than it looks..... I definately toned it down from the first arrow I did......

But they shoot good, I am gettin ready to go shoot to 50 yards.....let ya know in a little while...
Old 10-16-2004, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Incorrect. Anybody that's ever shot and hunted with a stickbow knows that's... uh.... an uneducated statement. Who knows better about broadhead stability on slow arrows? Overdone helical will slow the arrow faster but the parachute effect keeps the broadhead perfectly stable and flying straight.
UH excuse Me Arthur
but when the parachute opens the arrow is headed down which is called a dramatic drop in trajectory so it really dont matter if it is going strait as far as windage is concerned because parachute effect or not it is dropping like a rock!
whether you believe it or not still does not change the fact that an arrow that is not spinning the broadhead will steer it whether it is a slow set up or a fast set up.
that would be as idiotic as to say that a rifle without rifling in the barrell is just as accurate as one with rifling that is the whole purpose for putting a helix on the arrow in the first place to get the arrow to spin as fast as possible so the broadhead will not steer the thing like a stunt plane!

Thanks for lesson? DOH!
Old 10-17-2004, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Too bad the lesson didn't stick, but you're welcome anyway. [8D]
Old 10-17-2004, 08:06 AM

Well I shot the bow out to 50 yesterday....... I set my pins and I am good to go ! The arrows shot well - and I am real happy. I was worried the 5" vanes would slow down a lot - not so. They grouped great - in fact I was having one of those moments - you guys know - The ones when ya wish everyone you know was watchin you shoot I pegged some 50 yard groups that looked like I was shooting at 20 yards...... so the arrows were great.

Then I pulled out the longbow (remember the one I made last year Arthur ?) Well I shot at 30 yards and nailed 5 bulls-eyes on my first attempt....

It was a real fun day of shooting........

Thanks for the advice guys, and thanks again Arthur.....
Old 10-17-2004, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

When you didn't check back in yesterday, I was hoping you had something good going on and just didn't want to quit shootin'. Yeah, I think I remember you posting pics of your bow, don't I? If it's the one I'm thinking, it was a beauty! Anyway, congrats on having such a good day! We all need one of those, from time to time. [&:]
Old 10-17-2004, 09:04 AM

Arthur - its too bad Im not going to hunt with it this year but I just didnt practice enough with it. I had a spat with my arm all year (tendon probs.) so I didnt do much shooting at all- I wore and arm band all year.........

On yesterday - I always shoot pretty well but yesterday I was just havin too much fun ! And when I shoot my recurve at 30 yards the way I was it sure made it hard to pick up my compound - thats for sure !!