Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Aftershock broadhead question

Old 10-13-2004, 08:44 PM

Default Aftershock broadhead question

I purchased a set of the 125g Aftershock broadheads for this season, and sitting in my stand a question came to mind.
These broadheads have a 2 3/4" cutting width, so considering the space between a deers ribs (about 1 1/2") would it be possible for this broadhead to get 'stuck' in the ribs as it tried to exit and not pass though?

This is the first set of expanding broadheads I have ever purchased, and this though bothered me enough on stand that I put the arrow back in my quiver, and I used a fixed blade (Montec G5) to take a buck on the opener here.
I'm not looking for a fixed-vs-expanded debate because I appreciate the pros and cons of both, just some opinions/comments on my thought.
or... maybe I'm thinking too hard and should just hunt ....
Old 10-14-2004, 07:19 AM

Default RE: Aftershock broadhead question

If your not totalely confident in the equipment you got in the field, you shouldn't be out there with it. Good call on not using what you weren't comfortable with.

I'm sure there will be someone along that can answear the question about the aftershock.

How did the montec work???
Old 10-14-2004, 08:20 AM

Happy with the Montec. They are durable and spin very true, and grouped with my field points (as did the Aftershock). The shot was a complete pass through, buried the arrow about 6 inches in the ground and the deer kicked it up as he ran off. Found the arrow about 20 feet from where I shot, leaning against a tree (pointing up).
Cleaned the arrow and put it on my roller- evrything is nice and true, no damage at all to the head or arrow.
I'm having a little trouble putting an edge back on them, but I've seen some suggestions posted elsewhere here that I'll try.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:18 AM

http://p071.ezboard.com/fcponeidaeag...icID=440.topic
Old 10-14-2004, 07:24 PM

man, let me tell u. if u are shooting 65lbs+, that aftershock would have cut that deer in half. that is no joke. i visited the web site and there is a hog that was shot with one. major damage. a deer could not take that. do not forget, the bones of an animal are not as hard as u think when they are surrounded by blood and flesh. the ribs would get busted up. try the head on a doe and take a look at the damage. good luck.

lemond
Old 10-14-2004, 10:07 PM

dunno...
thruthevitals post showed a link of a hypershock that appeared to get stopped by a rib
like I said, don't want to debate fixed vs mechanical
just a thought....

BTW I'm shooting at 65lb @ 29" draw, Dominator 300's out of a Buckmaster
i figure the KE @ about 55 lb... I wasn't worried about penetration, just the performance of the broadhead
Old 10-15-2004, 10:50 AM

I haven't used a hypershock but last season I did a bunch of setup changes mid stream testing mechanicals. My first buck got hit by a spitfire (64lbs. draw @ 18 yards) and flat opened him up. The shot was across the chest and double lung and the ribs involved were blasted away. The arrow passed thru both sides but didn't exit the body and was broken all to hell (three pieces). I shot a doe with a shockwave with very similar results (teo pieces). In both cases the blood trail was nothing short of fantastic. Not one of those "here is a drip of blood" and then look for the next spot. More like "Here is a puddle and then look up another 5 yards and there was another puddle". I always perfer to have a full pass through so I can look at the arrow stuck in the ground with my binoculars while waiting to get down and track. Thus, Thunderheads for me. I think any drawback to the whole mechanical concept is the loss of arrow velosity as it passes through and hits the other side. I'm positive others have shot all the way through many, many times but I never did last year.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:16 PM

Some of you may have had the opportunity to see the pictures I posted of Hypershock usage on a large doe. The result was quite different from the 'link' that was noted.

I still have them in my quiver, along with other BHs that I test.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:35 PM
Typical Buck

Len.. have you had any experience w/ the 100 gr heads? I currently have a few in my quiver... I assume that the pics you showed were shot w/ a 125gr? Also would you be able to email me the pics so I can show some guys at work ([email protected]).

Later,
Ken B
Old 10-17-2004, 07:14 PM

The large vicious holes shown in my pictures were done with 100 grain Hypershocks and not the larger 125s. After what I was put through, I will regretfully no longer share any pictures with anyone on this or any other forums. Sorry.